Lift out

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Lift out

Post by Discus »

Booked our lift out today. 29th October. Feel crap now. :(

Winter jobs list is getting bigger :o

Where has this year gone? :?

Answers on a postcard please :roll:
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Well, boat came out without drama. It was foggy and I couldn't really see past the bow. Had to navigate the Plym with the chartplotter as even the buoys were invisible to the eye. Interesting colony of mussels taken up residence on the underside of the keel. Enough for moules mariner for 6 people! :o

Bit quiet round here now. Is anyone still around :?:

:pig:
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Discus wrote:Well, boat came out without drama. It was foggy and I couldn't really see past the bow. Had to navigate the Plym with the chartplotter as even the buoys were invisible to the eye. Interesting colony of mussels taken up residence on the underside of the keel. Enough for moules mariner for 6 people! :o

Bit quiet round here now. Is anyone still around :?:

:pig:
I'm here :wink:

Was down the Quay today!

Dunno where Jeff has gone tho,........ Probably getting ready for new family member. We are still living the afloat life 8)
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hi, yep, I'm still here. Didn't see your posts as 'new' for some reason.

Must have been scary being underway in such thick fog! Did you sound the appropriate sounds?

At least you got a free starter out of it :)

We're settling in now. Getting used to the lack of gentle bobbing. Nearly getting the hang of controlling the solid fuel Rayburn which provides all our heat, hot water and cooking.... nearly.

Got an open fire also though, for when we get the Rayburn wrong and it goes out.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Hey Terry, good to hear you are still afloat - nearly missed YHQ the other day, couldn't see it :o . Back next week to finish off laying up then starting on the winter refit. Yippee! :wink:

Jeff - good to hear you are still with us and are settling in to life ashore. Ahh, I see you are learning the black art of the Rayburn. I hear its more art than science in its operation and reputed to be the reason for the popularity of the gas stove/heating :lol: . Shame you live up North, we have several tons of Oak logs currently stored in our back garden (a long story! - but we do live in a forest!), ideal for your fire!
BTW, I think the only fog noises we made were of the swearing variety. Really couldn't see anything at all! No idea where the foghorn was - best have a look for it!

:bigsmurf:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Could do with those logs!!

Rayburn is great - keeps me busy, taking the place of constant anchor related difficulties.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Sounds like the Rayburn has replaced the engine as the object of mechanical attention 8) . Strangely, we live in a forest, are surrounded (literally) by logs of all varieties, stacked up in neat piles and our house is all gas! :(

Have fond memories of my aunties farm with its Rayburn - you got your food when it decided, not necessarily when you wanted it. Mind you, it was capable of putting out prodigious amounts of heat - you should be set if we have a cold winter!

Have to ask - anything you miss about living afloat? :albino:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

The gentle rocking and sounds of lapping - especially at night.

The wildlife. Endless surprise visits by dolphins, otters, cormorants, fish, seals etc etc.

The constant comings and goings on the river.

The cheery waves and smiles from passing craft of all shapes and sizes.

The multiple daily rowing trips ashore.

The complete freedom to be where we wanted, facing the way we wanted, whenever we felt like it.

The knowledge that if we felt like it we could just pull up the anchor and tittle off.

The lovely feeling of living on our own private island.

The best view in the Dartmouth/Kingswear valley, for £136 a year.

The total lack of water, council tax and electricity bills.

The enforced connection to the elements - we _had_ to know what the wind/weather were doing and about to do.

The respect and interest we got from other people in social gatherings - which gave me increased confidence - hope it lasts.
Last edited by Jeff on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Jeff wrote:The gentle rocking and sounds of lapping - especially at night.

The wildlife. Endless surprise visits by dolphins, otters, cormorants, fish, seals etc etc.

The complete freedom to be where we wanted, facing the way we wanted, whenever we felt like it.

The knowledge that if we felt like it we could just pull up the anchor and tittle off.

The enforced connection to the elements - we _had_ to know what the wind/weather were doing and about to do.

The respect and interest we got from other people in social gatherings - which gave me increased confidence - hope it lasts.
Oh no! Maybe I shouldn't have asked! :oops:

Bet its nice to have a change and be living up in the wilds of ----------------- (up North)!

No boat maintenance :?

No yard fees :roll:

Bet Luna likes it 8)
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

It has its benefits.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Jeff wrote:It has its benefits.
It does! But it sounds like you are missing your other life :roll:

I find change unsettling :?
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

It was awesome living on the boat but it did have its drawbacks and relief from those is pleasant. I also knew it couldn't last forever. And realistically a lot of things were on hold to some extent while we were afloat. Life was too hard for instance to crack on with any other large plan or project.

It's also rather lovely here:

Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Ooh! Very nice! Excuse my ignorance but where is 'here'? Totally agree with you about having things on hold. I feel like we have been in a holding pattern for years now waiting to get away on the boat. Unfortunately, it makes it difficult to commit to anything, particularly any large financial outlays, so you just 'carry on' in the same holding pattern and just get used to it. Not really a forward looking solution.
Catyans
YF Newbie

Post by Catyans »

Jeff wrote:The gentle rocking and sounds of lapping - especially at night.

That's a great post Jeff, you've painted the picture I hope to own precisely! So thank you for that.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Cheers Catayans :)

Rob - weren't you going to take a sabbatical and spend a long time afloat for a while? Things changed?

That's Robin Hoods Bay btw. Near Whitby. Unfortunately no harbour so no decent sized boat can be kept here. But Whitby is only about 5 miles away so something for the future maybe.