11th August 2014 - The Fal, Helford and back to Plymouth

Living in the UK at anchor with a dog and a toddler - what can possibly go wrong?!
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Jim wrote:It's great to have a local with expert knowledge here, thanks Terry.
Looe.
I saw the 'little beach' as I drifted in with the rising tide. Lots of youngsters launching their racing boats there. Thought of landing there but was sure that I'd be in the way if I left the boat and besides I'm very fond of piece and quiet. Not bad where I ended up - near the railway line in open country... I'.m like Jeff as I dislike having to pay and be gawped at a public quay...much prefer to anchor up a remote creek in solitude.. Next time I'll try where you suggest up the west side of the river. I do land for a stroll when I can get to a firm beach but only go alongside a pontoon normally when I 'have' to get ashore for shopping etc.

Sadly I don't have a large scale chart of the Looe area. Not included in the 'folio' of charts for the Cornish coast that I bought donkeys ago as -like you say - it's not on the usual 'yachting' itinerary.
The channel between the island and the mainland. Does it dry out to clean sand?

Calstock.
Ok if you don't need to land for some reason. The landing stages all have bugg#r off/ no landing here notices, but I've used the inside of the tripper boat landing stage to get ashore to the village shop without anyone jumping on me. The foreshore is very soft mud/ooze...;-).
.Anchoring. . The noise from the village pub near the waterside is unbelievable, but I've spent a night at anchor a 1/2 mile upstream of there. Not too bad but the tide at springs runs very fast which makes my little boat swing about a bit.

Best

Paradox Jim
Hi Jim

About twice a year it's possible to walk across to the island it's something of an event people come from far and wide to do it :roll: most of it is sand but very rocky in places but to answer your question .........unfortunately it doesn't dry completely .
The old fishermen who needed 6ft to float their Lugers used to say you could always sail island roads any day at 7 o clock . :wink: