18th June 2014 - Visit, Engine Probs, Man Overboad, New Crew

Living in the UK at anchor with a dog and a toddler - what can possibly go wrong?!
Jeff
Site Admin

18th June 2014 - Visit, Engine Probs, Man Overboad, New Crew

Post by Jeff »

Since I last posted my parents have been and gone. While they were here (as always when they come) the sun came out and the temperature went up, so we had a fabulous time. Managed a day trip to Brixham and back - motored both ways due to complete lack of even a breath of wind. A shame not to be able to sail, but gorgeous all the same. And nice to be able to give the engine a test.

During a routine check a day later I found fluid near our impeller pump. This is the pump that sucks in seawater and pumps it through the engine's heat exchanger where the heat from the internal coolant circuit is transferred to it prior to it being ejected out of the exhaust.

A little checking online lead me to believe it was a leak from purpose made 'weep holes' designed to indicate the beginning of failure of the water pump. Phew! Nothing to worry too much about then, but something we needed to get sorted before making any major voyages - so a vague plan to head West on Monday was cancelled, and we went onto a pontoon because without the pump we can't use the engine, and it's not a good idea to be at anchor in a tight spot without a working engine.

(I was a little annoyed to have to pay for one night on a pontoon as this broke a record length stay at anchor, despite sticking out some higher winds, and cost us £11.45 for the night!)

I removed the pump no problem - it looked nice!

Nina and I then rowed a mile upstream to Stephenson Marine (they have a lovely website http://www.stephensonmarine.co.uk ;)) to drop off the pump, and then rowed the mile back (stopping at every beach to look for crabs and creatures on the way).

Next day, against a strong spring tide I might add, I rowed all the way back to collect it... and speedily back to Towser on the tide.

Refurbished pump re-installed (new seals, new wear plate). Engine run hard on the pontoon for an hour. No leak.

Re-checked an hour after stopping the engine. Fluid!

Decided to check the nature of the fluid more closely. It was oil. Just a tiny amount. I think it was probably oil there then before, too.

Note to self: Always check leaked fluids carefully before deciding that they're seawater!

On closer inspection it's coming from the injector pump/engine interface (where I reinstalled the injector pump over the winter) so just needs nipping up, or re-seating on some sealant - not a massive deal - and not really a problem in the meantime.

Doh!

We're now back at anchor :)

--

Before leaving the pontoon, yesterday afternoon, Nina, Lunar and I set off for our usual pre-dinner exploration of the nearby shoreline and woods. On the row home I glanced away from Nina for a moment, and then back, to see her bum and legs disappear over the side of the dinghy as she went in head first. She'd been leaning over to grab something out of the water.

Her lifejacket worked brilliantly. It's a foam one rather than an inflating one so there was no delay while it inflated - and despite her initial attempts to turn over to swim, it held her firmly on her back, head well clear of the water.

I made positive noises (while initially internally panicking), rowed over, and scooped her out. She was in the water I think about 15 seconds.

I'd secretly hoped something like this would happen while we were in the dinghy, especially on such a hot, still day with no chop on the water. It was excellent practice/experience and Nina wasn't massively upset by it all. She's very proud of it now (day after).

Suspect she'll be a little more careful henceforth!

Meanwhile, we have a new crew-member on the way! ETA some time in December.

Some pictures...

Towser in Brixham

New Crewperson
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Congrats on your news. Summer is finally here but alas no real wind for sailing. Still stuck in Fowey, spending money like water but at least it's lovely here. Short reply this from a cliff top as internet is a bit. non existent.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Thanks rob. We managed a sail today in light winds. Now in salcombe.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

congrats Jeff and Rose :cheers:
The B*ggger factor always knows where to find me !! Friday we left Salcombe for Dartmuff ,just rounding Start in a horrible Easterly had a phone call to say my dear ol'95yo mum had been taken into hosp with a heart attack. No option but to turn around and head back to Plymouth . Now back ,mother still in hosp ,now looks like we will have to search for res home for her . Bang goes our summer by the looks of it :roll:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Sorry to hear that Terry :( Hope things work out OK.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Terry, so sorry to hear your news. We are both hoping your mother is feeling a bit better and hope for a speedy recovery.

Rob & Karen