3rd December 2013 - Credit Where It's Due

Living in the UK at anchor with a dog and a toddler - what can possibly go wrong?!
Jeff
Site Admin

3rd December 2013 - Credit Where It's Due

Post by Jeff »

Previously, in Jeff's blog:

"I have successfully removed the failing injector pump, taken some pictures of it, and sent it to Lancing Marine for refurbishment"

Said pump is back, just over a week later, and at a cost of £450 (ex VAT) - somewhat different to the £800 estimate everyone I asked seemed to think it would be.

And it's AMAZING! It looks like a brand new pump! I can tell it's mine because I put a little groove in it so I could line up the cog for timing.

Assuming it now works perfectly (I'm sure it will) I am over the moon with it. Lancing have also been extremely helpful on the phone advising me on how to refit it, and even sent instructions with hand-written notes on, just for me - and said I can phone them for additional help as required.

No connection other than a VERY satisfied customer: http://www.lancingmarine.com/

Before:

After:
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Glad all is well with your pump Jeff As you say it looks brand new and at a reasonable price too . To be fair their site does quote exchange units ranging from £800 to £1000 so not far from people's advice :wink:
Bet you can't wait to try it out now . Hope Rose and Nina are well . Must be exciting in the Jeff and Rose household as Xmas is getting closer.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Cost us £450 T. Very chuffed.

Yes it's getting increasingly festive and exciting. Nina's birthday is very soon too (before Christmas) so it's all go :)

Seasons greetings to all!!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Looks good, did they do the other side too? :D . Only problem I see is it will make the rest of the engine look dirty. You may need to break out a cloth and some Jizer (no sniggering at the back). :clown: Good price for the work done. Smug mode! :lol:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hehe I have some 'gunk'. Not heard of your product suggestion LOL.

Yeah pretty chuffed with it.

Seasons greetings!!
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Not surprised you are chuffed. The corollary of your good news is that we have to have the engine pulled out (well into the galley) on the Tradewind for 4 new mounts and there is something really wrong with the shaft alignment as the cutlass bearing is eaten away at the bottom. Also have to have the Volvo stern gland replaced due to age and possible damage from the misalignment so will be looking at the thick end of £800 mainly for the labour involved. Nice!!! Oh, and the prop looks like it needs to be repitched too.

BTW Jizer is a water based degreaser and doesn't leave the distinctive Gunk smell when the engine gets warm. Bit of an unfortunate name - must be European. They have some strange names for stuff over there.

Happy Birthday to Nina! How old is she now?

Enjoy the cold snap!

Rob :rabbit:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ouch. Labour bills sting the most. At least when it's for parts you feel like you get some kind of asset for your 'investment'.

Nina will be 2. Amazing.

I thought I had got away with the gunk smell people referred to when I bought it, but not had the engine run since :( but then again I like bad smells :)

Snow tyres are on - looking forward to it!!! :D
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

2!!!!!!!! Where does all the time go? Maybe forget the Brut this Christmas Day, quick splash of Gunk/diesel/old engine oil and you will be good to go!

Snow tyres? Sounds hard core! :afro:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Tell me about it!

Snow tyres absolutely essential. We're in a micro 2wd car, at the end of a farm track which is up hill on the way out, at altitude, on the North Yorkshire moors. Everyone else in the locale drives a 4wd... but we're often the only ones out on the road. Snow tyres are really seriously effective.

Old spice used to be my choice (because it was all my dad had in the cupboard)... and on reflection, it had a picture of a ship on the bottle I think. Influential perhaps!
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Never knew you could get snow tyres for an ordinary car. We live on a private road and have to drive across a pub car park to reach the main road. Our main car is tragic in the snow so usually we end up on foot in the snow, although a couple of years ago Karen fractured her foot walking up to the village shop in the snow. Driving may have been safer.
Old Spice? OLD SPICE!!!!!!!!!! I refuse to believe it! Had you down as being at least coordinated with something like Insignia - they had everything from shampooto shower gel you know (according to the catchy advert).
Stay warm!

Rob :P
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hehe :)

Yeah highly recommend snow tyres. Best to have two sets of rims if you can, so you can swap them in and out yourself.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

PS. Also got to say, I found Old Spice quite effective at the time ;)
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Jeff wrote:PS. Also got to say, I found Old Spice quite effective at the time ;)
... with the over 50's? :o
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

The 15 to 20's.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

I was always partial to a splash of Blue Stratos. Unfortunately, success with the ladies may have been inhibited by its liberal use. Should have gone with the Old Mice after all! :drunken: