18th November 2013 - Out For The Winter

Living in the UK at anchor with a dog and a toddler - what can possibly go wrong?!
Jeff
Site Admin

18th November 2013 - Out For The Winter

Post by Jeff »

I was thoroughly enjoying our lives at the time of the pre-booked winter lift-out, so it was a very sad day. When we'd moved back aboard after Rose's illness I was feeling pretty miserable I think, and wondered if the novelty of boat life had worn off. It really hadn't. Compared with our pretty normal indoor lives on land, life on the boat is so much more difficult and connected to the weather and gorgeousness of the outdoors, and I think once I got used to the difficulties again, and grieved the loss of the easy life on land, the not rationally obvious benefits of not having electricity, hot water etc, and the annoyance and discomfort and hassle of having to practically make a passage plan just to go ashore and back each day, started to have their effect on my underlying feeling of wellbeing. A positive effect.

We spent the day and night before lift-out at Dittisham, and had a lovely lunch at The Ferryboat, then headed upriver early. Quite shallow in places but confidence in tidal height predictions and the knowledge that if we did bottom out when the tide is rising it doesn't matter a jot meant the only worry I had was that the engine might let us down for some unknown reason... but it didn't. I remember going upriver some years ago in our first boat. The tide was rising and I was in a state about possibly bumping into the mud. No idea why. I'm definitely a more chilled out captain than I used to be :)

It's not all bad up here in North Yorkshire though; it's great to have old friends and family around and Nina definitely loves that about it. But she is asking to look at pictures and watch movies we'd taken recently on Towser. I made a quick trip back down last week to bring up the remainder of our things, winterise the engine, get the injector pump and sails off etc.. Nina asked Rose where I was and Rose said, "Daddy's driven down to Towser" and Nina replied, "Nina drive Towser!". Which made me melt a bit when I heard about it.

I will keep my spirits up by working down the rather large list of jobs I need to do on Towser over the winter (nothing too onerous apart from the injector pump, which is in hand) - and trying to motivate myself to get out in the cold and wet with the dog.

Some stats:

Nights on paid moorings: 76 (yikes!)
Expense of paid moorings: 71 * £10.80 (dart / salc) + 4 * £40 (sutton harb) + £18 (yealm) + £125.56 (harbour dues dart) = £1070.36
Nights at anchor: 60
Hence total cost per night: £1070.36 / 131 = £8.17 (less than £10 = good)
Winter storage for Towser, and lifts each end =~ £1600
Total Annual Mooring/Lift/Storage Fees: £2670 (equivalent of our annual rent + c/tax + water rates if on land) = £51 / week. Not bad.
Diesel: I've misplaced the receipts for the diesel somehow, but estimate we've used approx 150 litres in total =~ £150
Coal: Burned approx 8 sacks at £12.50 / sack = £100
Petrol (generator): Used about 10 litres =~ £13
Fish Caught: None (didn't actually drop a line in!)
Barbecues: ~3 (got heavily into local breads rather than meats this year)
Nautical miles at sea: ~100 (estimated, will beat this next year!)

Some pictures:

Rose & Nina Watch Towser Get Lifted Out

As per previous posts, I'd decided we definitely needed to have the injector pump refurbished. This meant probably paying someone to remove it, paying someone to refurbish it and then paying someone to put it back on again. I was pretty sure I'd not be able to get it off myself... but thought I'd have a go. Where there's a will (a Yorkshireman's will to not spend money is strong!) there's a way...

Where The Ford 2715E Simms Minimec Injector Pump Once Was

Ford Lehman 2715E Simms Minimec Injector Pump

Ford Lehman 2715E Simms Minimec Injector Pump

Looks in pretty good condition inside there considering it's 35 years old!
Last edited by Jeff on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

another year over Jeff :cry: .
Where have you been hoisted out ? looks like Galmpton but I could be wrong .
regards to Rose and Nina and enjoy your time ashore :wink:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Thanks Terry. It's Totnes.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Never my favourite part of the year! Just think of all those jobs to occupy you for the rest of the winter - yay!!!! Roll on spring!! Oh and roll on Christmas first!!! :santa:
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Discus wrote:Never my favourite part of the year! Just think of all those jobs to occupy you for the rest of the winter - yay!!!! Roll on spring!! Oh and roll on Christmas first!!! :santa:
Ah where you been hiding Rob :scratch: Everyday is Christmas Day onboard Finlandia :lol: we have just spent a few days up the yealm ........ Not a great distance but a trip away none the less :thumleft:
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

[quote="Terry T"
Ah where you been hiding Rob :scratch: Everyday is Christmas Day onboard Finlandia :lol: we have just spent a few days up the yealm ........ Not a great distance but a trip away none the less :thumleft:[/quote]

Hope you are well Terry - life on board Finlandia sounds good, when can we move in? We are now ashore up at Yacht Haven Quay ready to start the winter fixes and upgrades. Stayed on board a week or so ago and nearly froze to death overnight :cry:, need to sort out some shore power and plug a heater in! I would give just about anything at the moment for a few days sailing to the Yealm and back 8). Thanks for the recommendation for Phil Byatt - he is going to be doing our new Sprayhood and cockpit tent. Result!
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Discus wrote:[quote="Terry T"
Ah where you been hiding Rob :scratch: Everyday is Christmas Day onboard Finlandia :lol: we have just spent a few days up the yealm ........ Not a great distance but a trip away none the less :thumleft:
Hope you are well Terry - life on board Finlandia sounds good, when can we move in? We are now ashore up at Yacht Haven Quay ready to start the winter fixes and upgrades. Stayed on board a week or so ago and nearly froze to death overnight :cry:, need to sort out some shore power and plug a heater in! I would give just about anything at the moment for a few days sailing to the Yealm and back 8). Thanks for the recommendation for Phil Byatt - he is going to be doing our new Sprayhood and cockpit tent. Result![/quote]

Don't think you will be disappointed with Phil's work rob :wink:
Weather is looking good this weekend to so hope to go to sea tomorrow for a few days 8)
Dont keep it a secret when you are down at Yacht Haven next time . Would be good to put faces to names and a cup of coffee. :thumleft:
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Will do Terry!! Lots to do so probably will be down a bit before everything stops for Christmas. If you are still interested in a trip to Ireland next year, I think we will almost certainly be going (weather caveats etc) and then on up to bonnie Scotland!!!
Enjoy the few days away.

Rob
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Discus wrote:Will do Terry!! Lots to do so probably will be down a bit before everything stops for Christmas. If you are still interested in a trip to Ireland next year, I think we will almost certainly be going (weather caveats etc) and then on up to bonnie Scotland!!!
Enjoy the few days away.

Rob
great Rob count us in for Ireland . subject to family commitments ...........aged mother not enjoying the best of health .