25th October 2013 - Wind

Living in the UK at anchor with a dog and a toddler - what can possibly go wrong?!
Jeff
Site Admin

25th October 2013 - Wind

Post by Jeff »

We've been in the same spot for a week and a half now, due to strong winds. And yesterday we received an email from the Dart Harbour Authority warning of 'imminent 80 mile per hour winds and possible structural damage' this weekend.

It's the Dartmouth Food Festival this weekend. Marquees all over the place.

Flying marquees on Sunday perhaps!

We're on Dartmouth's DC visitor pontoon and will sit out the storm here. Going to put some more ropes on, tie everything down, and utilise every fender we have.

If we survive* then I will post a synopsis with a video if I can stand up long enough to take one.

* SPOILER
(mum, we will survive!)
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
FSDSMAN
YF Newbie

Post by FSDSMAN »

Latest news is for it to hit Monday.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

They seem to keep changing their minds between it not hitting at all, and/or hitting Sunday evening around 2100, or Monday morning around 0300.

Last few updates have all shown it hitting Sunday at 2100.

Batten down the hatches!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ah. OK. Today's (Friday 25th Oct 2013) 1200 update now moves the peak to Monday at 0900, 48 knots. It's a shifty little storm to pin down it appears.

Meanwhile, I found another excellent phone app. Was about to put wheels in motion to make it myself as I thought I was the first to think of it, but no, someone beat me to it:

Rain Alarm Pro (£3.10)
http://www.rain-alarm.com/rainAlarmPro.html

Monitors the rain radar imagery and raises a visible and audible alarm when rain is imminent in your (or your chosen specified) location.

Also displays the rain radar view at any zoom level for the recent history so you can see rain developing, diminishing and migrating - thus you can predict very very accurately what you're in for for the next hour or so.

Lots of settings again (as per My Anchor Watch Pro) - but seems to be very very effective and accurate.

Highly recommended.
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Hi Jeff .The boats here stored on the gravelled area between the marina and the hangers have been moved against the hanger fronts !! Ie sheltered from the SW . Rob ( from 'n' pontoon ) is currently outside the hanger and has been told he cannot remain onboard Sunday/Monday night .!! Tim said last night that extra men were being called in for the night.
Putting extra lines out me thinks !!
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hi Terry, how was it for you?

We were so ready for it I was actually looking forward to it. And then pretty much nothing happened. I think we're pretty sheltered here in Dartmouth from South Westerlies.
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Jeff wrote:Hi Terry, how was it for you?

We were so ready for it I was actually looking forward to it. And then pretty much nothing happened. I think we're pretty sheltered here in Dartmouth from South Westerlies.
yea like you sort of looking forward to it but then it was just like any other gale we have experienced :cry: Looking around the marina things look pretty normal .
Which pontoon were you on ? By the town or up by the fuel pontoon ? Hope Rose and Nina faired well although Rose is a well seasoned sailor now :wink:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

On DC pontoon, just off the town. They allow us here this time of year even though we're officially too long. Makes for a much shorter row to get ashore. Off up river to anchor later methinks. Been on this pontoon nearly two weeks now because of the wind!