Friday 4th October - Much Less Miserable

Living in the UK at anchor with a dog and a toddler - what can possibly go wrong?!
Jeff
Site Admin

Friday 4th October - Much Less Miserable

Post by Jeff »

This morning the engine started instantly after 16 hours downtime.

Yesterday the engine started instantly after 15 hours downtime.

Is the air leak into the fuel system finally fixed? I doubt it! But maybe! All I've done is re-install the last fuel hose connector to the injector pump (which uses an old 'olive', which Evenkeel suggested is likely the cause of some problems) with plenty of well placed Loctite sealant. If we make it to Plymouth I'll go back to Pirtek and get the final hose fully replaced with all new parts.

The even better news is that after I fiddled with my last banjo (the engine fuel line return, nothing dodgy!) It dawned on me that the leak was from the union between the fuel 'rail' and the banjo as per Rob's suggestion about the crimp (in previous thread).

After lamenting about the work required to remove the whole thing and replace or sort it I remembered a trick I learned from my first boat a few years ago... liquid metal! I know it's a bit of a bodge but a quick row and £7 later... our engine is not leaking diesel into the sump any more!

Testing banjo with temporary installation of red fibre washer. Leaking diesel clearly visible. You can see why I thought it was coming from the banjo!

Banjo without its bolt. You can see the copper washer I installed below it and the epoxy weld on the steel rail behind.

Here it is running, no leaks for the first time
http://youtu.be/pMr6LF49RZo
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Still keeping me fingers crossed! :drunken: