Wednesday 11th September 2013 - Back Afloat

Living in the UK at anchor with a dog and a toddler - what can possibly go wrong?!
Jeff
Site Admin

Wednesday 11th September 2013 - Back Afloat

Post by Jeff »

At anchor in the middle of the Dart as I type this, back afloat.

Rose isn't 100% but she's much much better than she was before and seems to be coping well with the maritime life.

Such a shame we missed all the warm weather - it's quite chilly in the mornings now. Might have to light the fire soon!

The mood aboard is OK but everything seems like quite a struggle at the moment, and for not a lot of obvious gain. Perhaps the novelty of life on a boat is wearing off. Nina seems buoyant though (scuse pun) - loving all the boats and wildlife - but we've all had a lovely time with our parents in the warm summer months in Whitby and are missing that now. Unsure what we'd have done when Rose was ill, had it not been for the assistance of our folks. Thank you!!

Hopefully the not obvious joy that suffering brings will return before long ;)

Re-launch went without a hitch.

I'd bled a small amount of air out of the final fuel bleed screw the night before launch, and the engine fired up without hesitation. When I'd bled it I also noticed that one of the two bleed screws on the fuel injector pump was missing its copper washer. Don't recall if it has always been that way or not, but it should have one. It's the deformation of the copper that creates a good seal between two imperfect surfaces. Not having a washer to hand, I put some Loctite gunk on it (specifically intended for fuel systems) and nipped it up. Since then I've been making sure we start the engine every 12 hours so we don't find ourselves in an emergency having to bleed the fuel system... and since then the engine has started flawlessly. Have I perhaps finally solved our air in fuel issue!?!? I'm pessimistic to be honest; having thought I'd fixed it a number of times now. But my fingers are crossed and I'm touching wood etc.

We set off to motor to Dittisham for our obligatory post launch meal and first night afloat... as we approached a port hand mark in the channel Rose and I realised simultaneously that something wasn't quite right, and the depth started to plummet... and then I remembered that port hand marks are meant to be left to starboard on the way down a river - and swung violently to avoid imminent death (or more realistically: imminent getting stuck in the mud for a few minutes). Oops. Embarrassed. That's _definitely_ the last time I'll do that (I've said that before).

Picked up buoy with much style - on first attempt.

Next morning departed, motored to Dartmouth and anchored, where I am now. First night here was stressful with wind much higher than forecast. I put a drogue out from the bowsprit to keep the bow out into the tide, this stabilised us nicely despite the wind over tide conditions that have previously seen us doing what I call 'the anchor dance' where we hoof back and forth across the anchorage at speed. All seems to have settled down now though so things are a little more relaxing.

No plans to _do_ anything yet. Just going to see how things pan out. The forecast for the weekend looks pretty poor. Might be spending the weekend on a pontoon (due to high wind making anchoring annoying/stressful) at this rate.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Nice one! It is a bit nippy on an evening/morning and I even sailed in my oilies today which is a first for this season. Seems like we have chosen a not so good time to take a few days off - yay!!!! Good to hear you are back in your (un)natural element.

Rob :D
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Hi Jeff glad to hear that you're all back onboard but sorry to hear that the enthusiasm for life onboard has waned .Hope its only temporary :cry:
Maybe it's just because its the end of the season.....ish .
Are you staying put for long or heading north again ?
Hope it all pans out ok and you both get fired up again . a few weeks in sunny Plymouth is what you need :lol:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Thanks chaps :)

Is it sunny in Plymouth? Bit grey here though a few rays just caught me as I started to type this.

We'll be aboard for 8 weeks ish, problems permitting. I'm sure we'll perk up - just tired when I wrote that I reckon.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

How's the weather? We beat a hasty retreat on Friday as the outlook looked pretty poor. Wondering if you are tied up with the stove going ( actually quite cold here at home in the Forest ). More than disappointed that the weather has crapped out on us - but at least the cat was pleased to see us! :P

Rob
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

We're on a pontoon with the lamp going... wondering where the forecast strong winds are. It's gone still now. Calm before the storm?

Looks like a possible light at the end of the tunnel next week though. Hope so!