Wednesday 10th July - Scurvy

Living in the UK at anchor with a dog and a toddler - what can possibly go wrong?!
Jeff
Site Admin

Wednesday 10th July - Scurvy

Post by Jeff »

Rose seems to have glandular fever, in a bad way. We're both totally gutted. Prognosis is that a full recovery will be made, but that it will take a considerable length of time. Until then bed rest and little else has been advised. Poor Rose :(

And this right when the best weather we've had in a decade is upon us... and the boat is working well enough for us to make trips in it, and everything else was going so well.

Aaagh!

We did manage to make it to Salcombe and back a week or so ago, and hook up briefly with Terry & Val on Finlandia while doing so - and spent four fab nights on the hook in the estuary - glorious - followed by a lovely uneventful fast sail back to the Dart. Bigger plans were beginning to form.

But as I'm now having to be primary carer for Nina I can't work - I think we might have to bight the bullet and head north to the grandparent support network so I can do some work.

:cry:
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Wow poor Rosé . GF is a bugger . Our younger daughter left the army because of it :!: that was way back in the early 90s she's ok now but took ages . You don't want to know how long it took . Do you intend to crane Towser out for a bit ? I thought it was only Val and I who had all the bad luck . Best wishes to you all especially Rose.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Oh no! Very sorry to hear that. Glandular fever can be a real pain. I had it in my early twenties - bad news was I was ill for over a year. It really saps your energy. I was functional but spent long periods in bed and feeling like a ghost!

Give her our best

Rob (& Karen)
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Thanks chaps :(

We're booked to be lifted out tomorrow. Hopefully she'll make a quick recovery but I guess this could be it for this year.

We're both absolutely gutted. Going to miss all of our fave festivals etc etc, as well as trips and just the general bliss of boat life.

Hope you all have a better rest of season than we're going to. Are you in the Exe canal yet Terry & Val? Are you in Salcombe now Rob & Karen?
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

sorry to hear that you're being lifted out :cry: but wish poor Rosé a speedy recovery.
We are still enjoying Torquay but are leaving tomorrow for Plymouth then to Falmouth perhaps. Just too much planning for Exeter what with the booking of the lock in and out . It's been lovely here though sad to leave but leaving before harbour rot sets in.

cheers
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Noooooooooooooooooo! Not the dreaded lift out? I am not surprised to be honest because you feel like absolute crap when you have glandular fever and I would imagine a boat is one of the last places you would want to be. Hope rose feels better in the next few weeks or so.

We still have a leaking oil cooler which I hope to fix on Friday. Have been back home and back at work this week so will be back aboard Friday evening hopefully. Not managed to make any sailing use of the good weather unfortunately.

Look after yourselves

Rob
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Where are you being craned out Jeff ? tonnes or Dartmuff?

Are you at sea on the weekend Rob after repairs
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Hi Terry

Yes, hoping to be out and about on Saturday and Sunday if I can get the oil cooler to stop leaking! Look out for a Tradewind 35 or give us a shout on 16 (Pen Azen of Yealm) if you are around.

Rob
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Discus wrote:Hi Terry

Yes, hoping to be out and about on Saturday and Sunday if I can get the oil cooler to stop leaking! Look out for a Tradewind 35 or give us a shout on 16 (Pen Azen of Yealm) if you are around.

Rob
Hi Rob we are back in Plymouth now having had a knackering "motor"from The Dart . Lots of cleaning etc to do so doubt if we will be at sea for what is left of the weekend . Did you get your oil problem sorted ?
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Hi Terry

Still in the middle of sorting it I'm afraid. Access is a bit tight down the side of the engine and I'm working by touch. I have removed the banjo bolt on the oil cooler and replaced the copper washers which seem to be the source of the leak but it is very difficult to realign everything and get the banjo bolt back in place. Will attack it again today. Lovely over here on our mooring so maybe no hardship if we don't make it out either! Rest up and enjoy the sunshine.

Rob