Saturday 18th May 2013 - Sailing!

Living in the UK at anchor with a dog and a toddler - what can possibly go wrong?!
Jeff
Site Admin

Saturday 18th May 2013 - Sailing!

Post by Jeff »

As we had three of our four sails on, and the forecast was for sun, slight seas and light winds, I couldn't resist. With much trepidation we motored slowly out of the mouth of the Dart, and hoisted the mizzen, then the main. We then turned East, and unfurled the jib... and then turned off the engine!

BLISS!

It was blowing around 10 knots, and we were making over 3 knots through the water.

For a magic half hour we just trickled along - the familiar old sound of bubbles coming into the cabins below. Rose looked all tranquil with Nina on her knee in the companionway and after a few moments, to my surprise, said "shall we go round again?" (referring to our previous two year round UK voyage in our previous boat)

If it could always be like that it would be wonderful.

Sails furled, engine on, about-face - chugged back into the Dart and straight up river to The Ferryboat Inn for a celebratory lunch and obligatory pint of cider.

Here's a video:

CLICK HERE

And some pictures:

To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Lovely! Beats cleaning and wiring up stuff! :D
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

It does indeed!

But back to earth with a clang. Just tried to start the engine and it failed twice to start. I pumped the priming bulb ive installed before the racor duplex and it then started fine.

Dont understand how air is building up when the engine is not in use. Or why it was possible for me to pump the bulb about four times before it wouldn't let me pump it anymore.

More head scratching and bleeding fuel lines.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Hmmmm - now the symptoms sound like the fuel lift pump is dicky or there is a leak through the bleed screw on the primary fuel filters. Wierd! and disappointing. I hope you can track the issue down - if not as a backstop, get a marine engineer in to test the fuel circuit and perhaps trace where there may be an issue. It might be £100 well spent if the problem persists. I feel your pain!!! I can't rest when I know there is a buggy type issue with something on the boat. Might account for the fact I took half the saloon ceiling down at 10pm on Saturday evening!! :oops:

Keep us updated!

Rob :?
evenkeel
YF Newbie

Post by evenkeel »

Hi Jeff
sounds similar to a problem i had a few years back, i put a bicycle pump on the feed pipe from the fuel tank, fairy liquid on all joints and pumped, turned out the o ring on the fuel filter had a tiny nick on it and hadnt sealed completely although fuel didnt leak out it did let air in, a dob of grease on it and cured, cost £1.00 for the tyre adaptor from the bike shop which i had to cut to put on the pipe with jubilee clip.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for the replies.

Before I saw them I re re checked everything and found a couple of nuts on the injector pump not as tight as I would like. Engine then fired up no problem.

Confused about this priming bulb thing. I installed one on isabella, previous boat, and recall being surprised that I could pump that one a few times. .. and I never had any air leaks on isabella... are you sure that the fact that I can is a sign of a problem? if so what do you think was happening with isabella?

Ps. Typed this on my phone so apologies for the likely typos.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

More engine oddities today on the way back to the anchorage after yesterday's blow abated. More significant pulsing especially at low revs.

Traced the entire circuit and pressured it up as per evenkeel's suggestion.... and found the banjo connection under the lift pump was dripping fuel at a considerable rate.

Had previously been checking only the connections I've added or changed. Random that its an existing one! Must have vibrated loose.

Nipped it up. Drip stopped. Re bled. Started up. No pulsing.

Not counting my chickens but I think there's a chance I've sorted it.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Let's hope that's the end of it! Still toiling away on the boat. Hope to splash soon. Engines eh! Gotta love 'em! :roll:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

What's left to do on yours now before you float?
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Well, the main things are:-

Finish installing the Hydrovane (Aries now removed and ready to be sold)
Finish installing Raymarine autopilot
Anti foul
Bend on sails
Polish and wax one side of the hull ( other side done)
Service engine

Have more time this weekend so hoping to get a lot of it finished. Weather looks good too so keep your fingers and toes crossed!

Rob
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Big jobs some of those! Good luck! Weather looks like high pressure dominating for a while - get cracking!
evenkeel
YF Newbie

Post by evenkeel »

Hi Jeff
Just wondered how the engine is performing, i know its a worry thats at the back of your mind all the time until you know for sure its cured.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Its one of those things you never know is definitely solved until it goes wrong again then you definitely know that it's not.

But thus far snce last interventions, it's been fine.

Have you managed to get out this week in the glorious weather?
evenkeel
YF Newbie

Post by evenkeel »

Glad it seems to be sorted, yes, we have been out loads, the other eve Swanage to Poole with a pod of dolphins for company, superb!!
Who needs to be sailing the Med when we have this weather right here
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Bliss!