April 28th 2013 - Launching Tomorrow

Living in the UK at anchor with a dog and a toddler - what can possibly go wrong?!
Jeff
Site Admin

April 28th 2013 - Launching Tomorrow

Post by Jeff »

We launch tomorrow. I'm surprisingly calm at the moment.

Over the winter I've done a lot of work (not that you'd bloomin' know) and among other things I ended up replacing most of the components in all 9 of our seacocks as a result of destruction testing revealing serious levels of de-zincification throughout. Quite glad we didn't go to sea too much last year now - but the fact is that I've got circa 30 new connections under the waterline. Just one not being watertight and we'll have to come out again to fix it - so this is not so much a health hazard worry as a wallet hazard one.

My other concern is that I've also installed the Racor Duplex fuel filter - with new connections galore in the fuel system. I've bled it, and run up the engine on the hard for an hour without issue, but in the water we will inevitably draw more fuel. Any air leak will potentially leave us dead in the water, with the tide going out, and 6 miles to go to safe, deep water.

On the plus side, we've got the camera and video camera batteries charged, so if it does all go wrong, at least we'll have it on film :P

If I get a mo I'll post up a list, for the record, of everything I worked on and got done etc over the winter... and things I wanted to get done and didn't... and the ~8 new rain leaks I found and fixed (8 - 1 of = 1 remaining).

Listening to 'Brass Hour' on BBC Radio Devon now while checking the value of my 'litecoins'. Anyone else bought into cryptocurrency? It's keeping my mind off boat worries.

Hopefully will next report from the water......
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Good luck with the launch. All will go smoothly! Have you installed a defib kit for your wallet? Sounds like it may require mouth to mouth! If you have run the engine on the hard for an hour I would be very, very, very surprised if you have a fuel blockage on a Ford Lehman. Enjoy, smile and put your feet up with a steaming brew when you get to Dartmouth. Look forward to hearing the progress.

Best of luck

Rob
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

:) thanks Rob
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.