The final few weeks

Rose's blog

Moderator: Jeff

Rose
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

The final few weeks

Post by Rose »

From Queensborough we sailed to the river Colne and spent some time anchored off Mersea Stone, some moored at Brightlingsea and a night ancored up Pyefleet Creek. What can I recall of this time? Well the weather was greyish. It rained. All in all I felt a bit in limbo. Gone was the excitement of London and although I was glad to be back at it and eager to explore, the weather conditions and getting back into a work routine resulted in us probably not seeing the river at its best. We moved on from Pyefleet and after a 7 hour sail we reached the river Deben, where we intended to stay for only a short time and where we needed good net access for Jeff to do work. We arrived on a Tuesday and anchored off The Rocks, a picturesque sandy beach and a welcome relief from many days of mud. We rowed ashore and walked to the nearby pub for refreshments and fodder. Lunar was ecstatic to get off the boat and have a good hoof about. We only lost her briefly and as she returned without blood all over her I think the local wildlife survived. Unfortunately the net at the Rocks was rubbish so the next day we cautiously made our way up river to Woodbrigde where we waited outside the marina until high water would allow us to pass over the sill. The sun came out and we enjoyed three lovely days, well apart form the working bit, mooching around the little town and chatting to the friendly locals and visiting yachts. As time was beginning to be an issue we decided not to visit Sutton Hoo, which in retrospect might have been a shame, and after another night off the Rocks, in order to make best use of tide and to allow for timing our departure form the river, we sailed onward and up to the Rivers Ore and Alde. Our first night there we anchored down river from Orford and rowed ashore to the beautiful little village where we explored the castle, from the outside only as dog's were not allowed, and sampled the local pubs, food and drink. We also found a random second hand book sale located in some ones out building. After the initial excitement of the discovery we were left rather bewildered and surprised that with so many books to choose from (wall to wall shelves and boxes) we couldn't find anything worth reading! Nice day though. Well it was until Jeff realised the net access was terrible. So we checked out our options and found that the whole area had rubbish net. So began the next week of limited net access, rubbish anchorages, mud and long walks to and from Aldeburgh for supplies and not much else. Everything seems harder than it should have been, wetter than it should have been and much muddier than it should have been. So to cheer ourselves up before we left the Rivers we returned to Orford and ordered ourselves a new sailing dinghy to be delivered to the village quay! Well why not?

Next stop............Lowestoft. For some reason we had got it into our heads that Southwold was not appealing and that Lowestoft was. After having visited there and stayed for too many nights I think we are now reconsidering this assertion. A six and a half hour sail put us in Hamilton Docks, an idyllic setting surrounded by industrial estates and grey buildings, roads and traffic. The town itself seemed sad and struggling and aside from the front set up for tourist with ice cream stalls, fish and chips and amusement arcades the town proper looked like it had seen better days. Having said that the people on our neighbouring boats were very friendly and I have to say that the showers in the facility block were absolutely brilliant; hot and strong and so very very welcome after our prolonged time up muddy rivers!

We spent far too many nights in Lowestoft. I think it was five in the end. Again we felt like we were in limbo. So close to home in the sense that we knew our trip would be coming to a halt shortly but still quite a long way in terms of actual sailing time left. Decisions need to be made. Where next? Wells? The Wash? Grimsby? After much debate and umming and arring it become apparent that both of us were getting itching feet and although apprehensive were ready for a big challenge. Decision made. Next weather window and we would attempt Lowestoft to Scarborough in one go. An estimated 33 hour sail and our first over night passage on our own. Gulp!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.