9th November 2012 - Ashore For The Winter

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Jeff wrote:OK so two of you are now saying "don't do it"... hmmm... OK. What's the best bulkhead mounted diesel fired one then, that can be installed with its own tank, and doesn't need lecky?
Taylor do a lovely slim chrome unit .very expensive tho, They do come up on flea bay often. I think diesel is the best move.Remember the smoke from the boat opposite us when we were out on M , the one who made your cockpit cover ?

Terry
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Dickinson Newport heaters are popular. Just thinking that it might be easier to fit a fire guard around too so little fingers don't get burnt!
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Terry T wrote:Remember the smoke from the boat opposite us when we were out on M , the one who made your cockpit cover ?
Hehe I do remember because if we do go solid fuel, the owner of said vessel (who reads this blog on occasion) might be making the stove for us :)

But I like the idea of the diesel ones - installation would be a doddle - and less faff and less hassle carrying fuel. But reading around seems like they can be tricky to light, and they can't be safely left running when you go to bed, or when you leave the boat.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

I'm really not sure which is the best form of heating but I do understand your need for night time heating . Another down side of solid fuel if kept burning all night is carbon monoxide build up .Something we were very concerned about .Didnt have alarms in those days tho :o :lol:
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

I'm not sure any of the heaters mentioned so far ( including solid fuel ones) can be safely left going overnight or unattended. I know leaving an open fire in a house unattended will invalidate your house insurance, probably the same on a boat - that's mainly made of combustable wood inside! Blimey, how boring do I sound!!!!! I remember last spring, working on the boat like a devil having just waxed the hull and coachroof in 7 degree cold!! Come evening, the boat next to us fired up their solid fuel stove heater and no doubt enjoyed a snug evening around the fire. The flue was like a bloody flame thrower in the wind with embers flying right across our decks. Next morning, there were black flecks all over the white coachroof sides that had to be cleaned off ( with difficulty). Not sure what they were burning but smelled like local wood. Proper charcoal might have reduced the unwanted residue.
Terry - Good point about carbon monoxide alarm. Absolutely essential.

No perfect answer to this one!

Rob :cry:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for the advice chaps. To be honest we've never left the heating on overnight, even when we've been on land (except in hotels!) so that's not such a big deal really!

I'm starting to like the look of this, but not the price!

To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

One for sale on eBay for 99p at the moment but needs a few bits to make a complete unit, but you can buy them from Taylor's. :?:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Saw it yeah. I don't know enough about them to know if it's serviceable or not. New ones are more shiny too!
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Brasso :idea:
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Just a thought ....... What's wrong with the Eber ?? Out all of them I'd be more comfortable leaving that on over night . The added advantage that there are no burny finger bits and you are heating the whole boat instead of one cabin.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

We don't need overnight heating. Never use it afloat or ashore, even in mid winter (unless at hotel's expense!).

Eberspacher is noisy, uses lots of battery and cokes up if run at anything less than full power. It also seems to make our aft cabin like a dry sauna, and the rest of the boat luke warm. And if we close the aft cabin vent to redirect the heat to the other outlets, it overheats.

But you've made me think though. I've not actually even tried running it on anything less than full whack, and only _then_ closing the aft cabin vent. And a de-coke every year wouldn't be all that expensive perhaps. And on less than full, perhaps the noise is more bearable also.

But then again I also see an additional heater of some sort as a very important backup.

But then there's always the lamps for backup. They kick out 1kW each.

Still loving the look of that Taylors 079D though - think I'm in love :D

But I can't think where we'd find to install the header tank.

Decisions decisions...
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Jeff wrote:We don't need overnight heating. Never use it afloat or ashore, even in mid winter (unless at hotel's expense!).

Eberspacher is noisy, uses lots of battery and cokes up if run at anything less than full power. It also seems to make our aft cabin like a dry sauna, and the rest of the boat luke warm. And if we close the aft cabin vent to redirect the heat to the other outlets, it overheats.

But you've made me think though. I've not actually even tried running it on anything less than full whack, and only _then_ closing the aft cabin vent. And a de-coke every year wouldn't be all that expensive perhaps. And on less than full, perhaps the noise is more bearable also.

But then again I also see an additional heater of some sort as a very important backup.

But then there's always the lamps for backup. They kick out 1kW each.

Still loving the look of that Taylors 079D though - think I'm in love :D

But I can't think where we'd find to install the header tank.

Decisions decisions...
I'm not an Eber engineer by any means but is there a possibility that your Eber maybe in need of a thorough overhaul ? that aside the Taylor is a lovely bit of kit and looks the the job and I would love one but I think it was designed to heat one cabin so the rest of the cabins may be a bit chilly . The joys of Towser
being a ship owner I guess :lol:

regards Terry
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nothing wrong with our Eberspacher. They all coke up if run on low. We had a brand new one coke up and stop working in a few months by running it on low (Isabella, in Sutton Harbour). Engineer said "yep they do that - you should really run them on white diesel, on max, and run some paraffin through also from time to time."

We ran on max ever since - no more problems.
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Never had any probs running Eber on low other than a slight chattering noise which sounds like the fan and I guess a D5 is a thirsty beast . If we had the room for radiators we would go for a rad system using an Eber type heater to heat the water like a home installation . Tim the night watch here has a system on his boat and swears by it . Have priced out system using poly pipework and using Trago rads worked out cheap enough but alas after much head scratching the rads would be too intrusive in the main cabin. Food for thought ?
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Not really keen on that idea tbh. Too much to go wrong. Give the Eber time! Ours was a brand new D4 that coked up in two months, running mostly on low, 8 hours a day.