9th November 2012 - Ashore For The Winter

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

9th November 2012 - Ashore For The Winter

Post by Jeff »

We are now back on land for the winter, but it's not all bad. We're in the middle of nowhere, in a caravan, with uninterrupted views across a beautiful North Yorkshire Moors dale. Access is via a cow track which is quite steep so we'll definitely get snowed in at some point. Brilliant!

The last few weeks aboard have been a little tough. Bad weather, main generator failure, portable generator failure and then the battery charger went up in smoke, so we had no effective way of charging our batteries other than solar power, but there was not a lot of sun, and we'd come to reply very much on the Eberspacher to defrost us in the morning, which needs a lot of battery power to fire up.

We managed though, with a little running of the main engine and lots of pressure lamp use.

The lift-out day was drawing rapidly close as we awaited the arrival of our Racor Duplex Fuel Filter (with indicator gauge), which arrived in the afternoon of the day we intended to start the 2 hour trip up river. I had hoped to have it installed so that if we suffered engine failure due to blocked filter on the way up river, we'd have been able to flick a switch, and carry on. But there was no time so we just installed a new filter, crossed fingers, and headed up river early the following morning.

All went fine. Big sigh of relief. And Towser is now in a cradle on the hard in Totnes. Much work to be done over the winter, including possible installation of a solid fuel stove.

Before we drove North we managed to change the oil and oil filter in the main engine, and run anti-freeze through the freshwater circuit to "winterise" it and avoid it being damaged by freezing up.

Here's a list of things I want to get done before relaunch next year, in no particular order:

Buy/Apply Antifoul
Mend log (the paddlewheel that tells us our water speed, which never worked this year, and leaked)
Perhaps replace our 8mm anchor chain with 10mm anchor chain.
Mend or replace the portable generator.
Re-pack the rudder tube stuffing box (which leaks a little).
Re-pack the stern tube lubricator pump (which is nearly empty of grease).
Replace about 3 seacocks and possibly also their skin-fittings.
Wood-treat Mizzen Mast Deck Mount Wooden Block.
Wood-treat Sun-roof (leaks after a period of dry followed by rain).
Install the sails and running rigging!
Finally install headlining material in the saloon.
Install the new Racor Duplex Fuel Filter system.
Check both engine anode states.
Check hull anode connectivity (it has not wasted _at all_ which is probs because we plugged into shore-power once, for 2 hours, in the whole season, but I want to check).
Install solid fuel stove (looking at the Faversham I think).
Get battery charger swapped (warranty) and install replacement.
Make up some system so I can cycle the fuel in the fuel tanks and settle out larger gunk and crud, and filter out smaller stuff. Can use the old fuel filter and possibly the generator's external 12v fuel pump for this (with a bucket, some pipes, and some cable ties... I think). Will sleep on it.
Service a couple of winches are a bit stiff.
Get rid of the CQR (donate it to Sailability).
Beef up the battery charger wiring - existing wires a bit thin for 40A.
Service or replace the out of service liferaft.
Install netting around much of the guard rail to stop Nina jumping ship.
Install a bilge sock (soaks up all oil from bilge, but not water, so we can pump out bilges without polluting environment in case of a bit of oil down there).
Install a much more powerful and reliable bilge pump for the main central bilge area, with beefier wiring, for peace of mind.
Fix the fog horn.
Fix the rear-facing white nav light.
OPTIONAL: Replace all nav lights with LED ones - especially the anchor light (at mast top) so we don't have to use the cider bottle DIY lamp.
Re-wire to the solar panels so the wires do not run over the aft deck.
Replace old fuel hoses.
Buy and install new alternator belt.

--

Some stats from this year's living aboard:

Sailed: 0
Motored: 27 hours
Engine Failures: 2
Generator Failures: 2
Nights at anchor: 46 (I thought we did more than this)
Nights on visitor moorings: 50 (a lot more than I thought!)
Nights in a hotel: 6
Total nights: 102
Mooring Fees: £505 + Harbour Dues (~£140) = £645
Average Nightly Rate: £6.32 (excluding hotel fees) much much cheaper than annual marina berth, and much more fun!

Next year I hope to:

a) Spend much more time afloat.
b) Spend much more time at anchor.
c) Leave the river!
d) Sail!

Some pictures:

Towser Being Manoeuvred Into The Hoist (Rose & Nina Watching)

My View Right Now And For The Winter
Last edited by Jeff on Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Hi Jeff glad all is well . Just summin to think about regarding a solid fuel stove ......Soot is a bugger it gets everywhere inside and out . Sails rigging ,decks etc .Dont ask how I know :(
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Terry T wrote:Hi Jeff glad all is well . Just summin to think about regarding a solid fuel stove ......Soot is a bugger it gets everywhere inside and out . Sails rigging ,decks etc .Dont ask how I know :(
I've been told it depends on what you burn... but sorry, I have to ask! How do you know?
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Jeff wrote:
Terry T wrote:Hi Jeff glad all is well . Just summin to think about regarding a solid fuel stove ......Soot is a bugger it gets everywhere inside and out . Sails rigging ,decks etc .Dont ask how I know :(
I've been told it depends on what you burn... but sorry, I have to ask! How do you know?
Hi Jeff Had a woodenOcean 30 back in the late 80s with a wood burner lovely heat but the smoke/tar ruined the sails and running rigging and that was not living aboard . I think most of the problem was that we use to burn mainly wood cos it was free , gave the cabin a lovely woody smell to it but it produced massive amounts of tar . Lovely dry heat though.

Your winter home looks cosy . will you be staying over Xmas or heading for parents/in laws? We hope to have a mini cruise over Xmas and celebrate Xmas maybe up the fal somewhere nice and quiet then back for the new year .

Regards Terry
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ah OK so maybe we'd be OK by only using "good" fuel. There's at least two liveaboards in Dartmouth we know who regularly use a solid fuel stove and we asked them about mess and they said it wasn't a problem. So fingers crossed.

Xmas mini cruise would be lovely! Very jealous.

We're staying in the caravan over Xmas yep - it's _at_ the in-laws.
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Cor just noticed the time of your first post today...... 5-08 :o :o :D Babies sure have a different body clock!!
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Baby was fast asleep at the time. I was just passing laptop on way to the loo. :D
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Jeff wrote:Baby was fast asleep at the time. I was just passing laptop on way to the loo. :D
you have loos in Yorkshire ?? :o :D :D
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

As opposed to Looe's in Cornwall.
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Jeff wrote:As opposed to Looe's in Cornwall.
:D :D

still got my leak on the windscreen . That's today's job to try to stop it for the hundredth time . having a new cockpit enclosure made . In off white this time to make the cockpit lighter than with the existing dark blue . it's getting to look more like a Rassey everyday !! 8) Pity it's not a real one tho :(

are you having boat withdrawal symptoms yet ?
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Oo sounds nice. If you have a new enclosure installed, and it still leaks in the same place, will you be able to cope?

Withdrawal symptoms started as we left the water :(
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Jeff wrote:Oo sounds nice. If you have a new enclosure installed, and it still leaks in the same place, will you be able to cope?

Withdrawal symptoms started as we left the water :(
Hi Jeff Enclosure and leak are separate . The leak is coming around where the front screen meets the side one........ I think !! :( I think I will have to remove the holding down screws and prise the frame carefully up and inject a bead of siko .

What made you "flee" :scratch: landside ? Must admit we are spending tooooooo much time there ourselves :oops:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Was always the plan T. For Chrimbo with family, with Nina.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Ooo nice view out of your living room window. Solid fuel stove - don't do it!!! You don't want to be the git that covers everyone else's boat with soot and ash. We have been covered twice now during the winter and its a bu**er to clean off. How about a nice bulkhead mounted diesel heater with dedicated tank. Bonus of a smaller flue too.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

OK so two of you are now saying "don't do it"... hmmm... OK. What's the best bulkhead mounted diesel fired one then, that can be installed with its own tank, and doesn't need lecky?