18th August 2012 - Nothing Happened

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

18th August 2012 - Nothing Happened

Post by Jeff »

Couple of things...

We moved up from the anchorage to a pontoon for a few days as strong winds were forecast.

Moored up no problem, again.

Met some awesome people up on the pontoon while the anchorage got progressively emptier, including a Canadian couple who have a Rocna 33. A massive version of my favourite anchor. They let me measure it up and I _think_ it would fit on our bow roller, so I might bite the bullet and buy one. They're expensive - £679 - but I think that will pay for itself many times over because I'll sleep better at anchor and get more work done for clients - and because anchoring is effectively free and we'd be able to ride out stronger conditions than now, with an anchor like that. Lot of money to shell out though.

Meantime, our friend Adam has become our coolest friend. For many years he's wanted to fly aeroplanes for British Antarctic Survey. A very hard job to qualify for, let alone get. He's worked his socks off for it for years now and has now got the job! It's just about the coolest job on the planet second only perhaps to astronaut. Adam also happens to be the person who bought Isabella off us (our previous boat) and lived on her in Ireland. So very very sadly, Isabella is now for sale again. At a very very good price. Details here...

viewtopic.php?t=437

And nothing else has happened. It blew, it rained, it threw us about - but nothing went wrong at all! No leaks, no breakages (apart from Rose's teacup) - nothing. Fabulous.

Oh, I found a kettle on ebay and bid on it and won it for £8 which is great as they retail new for about £80. Rowed ashore to the harbour office and collected it and set out to row back. The tide was absolutely racing. I hadn't realised. The last 20m were the strongest current I've ever rowed against. Standing waves were present. People in passing boats were cheering me on! (or jeering, not sure, was busy). Made it though. Unsure how much longer I could have kept that pace up! :roll:

Anyway must dash, going to a "sling meet" for people who carry their babies in slings...

To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.