25th June 2012 - Almost Ready To Launch (ish)

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

25th June 2012 - Almost Ready To Launch (ish)

Post by Jeff »

Just got LOADS done on the boat this last weekend. Including a new plywood ceiling in the saloon. I had thought I'd have to get a joiner in for that but with a bit of effort, a new jigsaw and lots of measuring and template making, I managed to sort it! Very pleased with myself.

Also fitted/done (some this time some last time):

New anchor. 20 KG Lewmar Delta (not as good holding as our Rocna we used to have, and less than half the price also, but supposedly quite a good reliable anchor and the only one I think that would definitely fit our bow roller. I may order a "Spade" if I feel rich at some point. I think our nights without anchor drag alarm are over for a little while until I learn to trust (or not) this Delta.

A new cooker.

160W of solar panels (cable tied on to the davits in such a way that we cannot now use the davits (doh) but I can see a way to sort that in due course) which are now giving us TWELVE AMPS in direct sunlight which is awesome (my laptop takes 3 or 4 amps so we should have an excess of power and can therefore on occasion afford to turn on the fridge or a light! Something we're not used to).

A load buzzer which sounds whenever any of our three auto bilge pumps kicks in (had to build a circuit board with diodes for this - very pleased with myself).

A replacement bilge pump switch for the deepest pump (it's a long way to the bottom of our bilges - this was a challenge!)

A remote control unit on the solar charge controller so that we can monitor the amps going in and the volts on each battery bank.

A new fitting on the new calorifier which was leaking.

A speedseal impeller cover and new impeller (nice bit of kit).

Found and fixed another leak (it was just a jammed open vent facing the prevailing conditions, which I oiled and closed... and I think this leak is the one which has been evading me - the cause of very small amounts of water on the galley surface sometimes, but which I've never actually seen happen before.

And I then ran up the engine to test the calorifier re-plumbing and the new impeller etc - and the engine ran like a dream, sucking up a gallon of water in a few seconds, and the calorifier warmed up a little.

And I did the anti-fouling - single handed. It's the first time I've ever anti-fouled a boat. Previously I got Rose or our friend James to do it. In the future I'll do that again - this was a horrid job! It took me 5 solid hours of hard graft.

I emailed Rose after I finished:

"The anti-foul colour I bought was "RED". On the can I noted before I
opened it, it actually said "LIGHT RED". When I opened it, it was
distinctly dark green - but turned out that stirring it made it change
colour! TO PINK!

So I smiled and painted it on. It then dried and changed colour to a
dark coppery brown colour.

Looks bloomin awesome! Pointless tho really as it'll be under water
when in the water - but for now..."

I then nearly passed out - I think it was a combination of fumes and tiredness.

I think I did some other things too - it was a whirlwind of activity for a few days - tools and sawdust all over the place.

I still need to take the ceiling panels down and glue on the headlining material - and I've ordered some glue with which to do that - but I couldn't resist putting a lot of the other woodwork in place and putting the saloon seating and table back together. It looks so nice in there now. Very pleased with myself.

Some phone pics (apologies for poor quality)

BEFORE (note the bottom lip)

AFTER (some bits of the 3d jigsaw puzzle - around the edges, and the white vinyl material, still to be installed - but you get the idea)

Antifouled Bottom! (looks a bit like coppercoat but it's actually some cheap Jotun product)
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Nice one! Any good with plasterboard ceilings? How much wood is there on your boat? :o :o :?:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Who knows!? :D

Yep, a lot of wood!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.