10th June 2011 - Around Oban

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

10th June 2011 - Around Oban

Post by Jeff »

Been a lovely few days around Oban, apart from the weather. Apart from one night in Oban Marina to get supplies and another on a buoy to escape an unexpected wind shift (which made our anchorage untenable) we've anchored every night for the last 10. In some gobsmackingly gorgeous places. The weather could have been better, but at least we had plenty of wind power and a great sense of moodiness to the views.

Exciting things that have happened...

We had a night in a very very tight bay at the South of Kerrera Island, underneath the ruins of an old castle. Amazingly atmospheric place to be! When there I decided it was time to try the crab pot so I baited it with a pierced can of dog food and left it out for the night. Breakfast the following morning was crab! Our first catch of the trip this year!

All of our anchorages have on the whole been deserted apart from us. But we went to a small one to escape some forecast southerlies and found everyone else had had the same idea too. All was fine when the wind was in the right direction, but it shifted in the night bringing a lot of the other boats into close proximity. I don't think any of them noticed. Was all back to normal by the time they woke up.

Saw a strange snakey wormy fish thing. No idea what it was! Pic below.

Now I've got a week off work so we're headed off to explore some more islands, then making our way to the Crinan Canal I think, before making some more definite progress south in our bid to get to Ireland before too long.

Pics...

Our Castle Anchorage (Isabella and Dink (tender) visible)

Bumper Boats at Seil Island

Unidentified Sea Worm Snake Thing
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
cdogg
YF Newbie

Loch Fyne

Post by cdogg »

Hi again,
I notice you have decided to use the Crinan Canal. Two thoughts for you - After leaving the canal at Ardrishaig leave the bay and head inland up the Loch for a couple of miles or so to Otter Ferry. Otter Ferry is a sheltered bay behind a mile long spit there you will find the Oyster Catcher Hotel (good food) which has a dozen or so visitor moorings free to hotel patrons. I was there last week. All moorings regularly serviced and a dinghy landing jetty right in from of the hotel. Very quiet spot, only the hotel really.
Alternatively, continue south down Loch Fyne to either Tarbert, a busy wee village with pontoons on the West shore or opposite Tarbert on the east shore there is Portavadie IMO the finest new marina in Scotland. Fabulous restaurant/bar and 5 star showers. If you choose Portavadie, the Manager's name is Robert Kitchin, he will make you very welcome. My boat is berthed there, so be sure to say hello if I'm around (Robert will tell you) boats name is 'Echo'.
Cheers
Clarke
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice one Clarke, thank you for the tips!!! Might well see you in Portavadie at some point. Could do with a 5 star shower!!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
cdogg
YF Newbie

Wormy thingy

Post by cdogg »

Hi Jeff,
The wildlife oracle indoors thinks it might be a colony of salp which are related to sea squirts - they are semi-transparent. Apparently they join up into chains which are current borne drifters, waving in the current and known to drift in the Gulf Stream. Colonies have been known to form chains up to 40 inches. This is just an educated guess, but with nothing to show scale it is difficult to judge. Was it actually moving under its own steam or could it just have been moving with the current? Smaller than a colony of salp, then it might be jellyfish tentacles. Just another thought, if it seemed not to be moving under its own steam, then could it be some parasitic creature such as a tapeworm from a large fish, shark etc? Again without scale, just a suggestion

Cheers
Clarke
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Cheers for that Clarke. Worm thing was (I think) definitely moving under its own steam. It was about 30cm long, ~5mm across. It definitely looked tapewormish.