30th May 2011 - Back to Sea

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

30th May 2011 - Back to Sea

Post by Jeff »

Must admit I have trepidation about going out of the Caledonian Canal. Not having to consider tides, currents, waves and weather even has made me get "the fear" back. Every time I've had it before, as soon as we're back in the water, I seem to relax and enjoy it. Hopefully the same will happen this time too. I do notice that in a few days there's a high-pressure headed our way so hopefully, after three weeks of bad weather, we'll have some settled conditions to enjoy.

Here's us at the top of Neptune's Staircase. A set of 8 locks very near to the Western end of the canal, after this it's just 3 locks and 0.5 miles to the sea - which is visible in the background.

Here's a video of me pulling Isabella between locks - which was seriously hard as I'd overdone the tiller position (which keeps the bow out and hence Isabella off the wall) and the wind was about 15 to 20 knots on the nose - and then us letting out the ropes as the water level falls in the lock.

http://youtu.be/S-zouTQOrk0

PS. I think my beard is now thick enough to cope with the extremes of the Western Isles!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Jeff
Nice video, but I've been racking my brains trying to think why you look so familiar with the beard, jumper and yellow sallopettes - then I remembered, you are Cromarty from the Adventures of Portland Bill (well a good approximation). See link for evidence!!!! :lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDr66IspYfI

All you need now is the wind powered vacuum cleaner!!!

Hope weather is better by the way!! :P

Rob
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hehehe brilliant!! I _AM_ Cromarty!! :D

Weather - not all that good to be honest! Will post something up with a vid and pics when I get a mo.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.