28th May 2011 - In Fort William

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

28th May 2011 - In Fort William

Post by Jeff »

We've overstayed our 2 week pass now by a day in the canal. Need to leave. But the forecast is rain and high winds, again, and obviously if we leave it's rain and high wind AND sea and tide and current and 'real' waves :o

Though saying that, we've pushed through some not insubstantial conditions in the last couple of days. Loch Lochy gave us a hammering with 40 knot winds, hail storms, breaking waves chucking spray over us, and rainbows!

We'll really have to bite the bullet and crack on with our departure later today or tomorrow. Shame really as right now, at the top of "Neptune's Staircase" (a flight of 8 consecutive locks near Fort William) we have uninterrupted views of the Ben Nevis Massif... well, I say uninterrupted, there are actually large dark clouds covering the top of it the entire time.

Here's a couple of pics...

To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Gotta love the weather!!!!!!!!!!! Crap in Plymouth too!!! :x :?
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I thought from the synoptic charts that you'd be having a lovely time of it down there. I bet at least it's warm though hey! We've rarely seen it go over 10C here. Though as I type, there's sunshine pouring in through the main hatch and it feels a little warmer this morning. Sign of things to come perhaps! Fingers crossed!!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

You would think it was nice down there but this weekend was the first time since we launched that I contemplated switching the heating on. Wind speed was consistent at 25 knots with gusts regularly over 30, and that fine rain that soaks everything :evil: . I think I am becoming a serial weather complainer although it's small fry compared to your Scottish experience so far. It just gets a bit frustrating when you can't string enough time together to work around the weather. Looking at the longer range Atlantic chart, it doesn't fill me with confidence about sailing to Guernsey next Monday. Anyway, here's hoping for better Scottish weather as it is probably the best cruising ground in the world (when it's nice). Better be nice in early July as I'm sailing up there!!!!! 8)