25th April 2011 - Newcastle to Holy Island, via Amble

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

25th April 2011 - Newcastle to Holy Island, via Amble

Post by Jeff »

My folks joined us for the trip down the Tyne to Royal Quays marina. My Pa is rather keen on locks so he was very happy to go through the one letting us in to Royal Quays. See the replies to the previous post for a photo someone got of us in the lock, as well as the one below.

Following morning we motored out of the Tyne with the intention of going to an anchorage just short of the Farne Islands, but there was too much (un-forecast) swell from the East so I made a difficult decision (for me) and did an about face after we'd gone an hour past Amble, and went in to the marina there for the night. We'd been there an hour or so when there was a knock on the hull and a chap called Ed was there with the the gift of John Smiths! Brilliant! He'd read about our exploits on the net and recognised us as we motored into Amble. We're almost famous now!!

Next day we motored out of Amble and briefly even got a bit of sail up. Ed had set off in his yacht also and we took pictures of each other while underway.

Four hours later, after Dink was attacked by a juvenile grey seal and Lunar had to be put below before she jumped in to defend us (seriously!) we arrived at the Holy Island anchorage and dropped anchor. Jaw dropping place this! Beautiful! And the moans of the literally 1000s of seals on the nearby beach make it totally surreal. Most of the time if I pop my head out to look around there's the sound of deep breathing and a small black face or three peering at me.

Some pictures:

Time to clean and fuel the lamps. No power on Newcastle town quay, so paraffin lighting is used.

Lunar, we're leaving Newcastle tomorrow and you'll be able to have a proper walk!

Last night at Newcastle Town Quay

Going up the Lock into Royal Quay's Marina, North Shields

Bound for Holy Island alongside Ed in Yacht Samphire

This morning, anchored off Holy Island (Lindisfarne)

This morning, anchored off Holy Island (Lindisfarne)
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

PS.

Strong wind warnings for the area are in place, so we might have to stay a while. What a shame!! ;)

To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Luna

Post by Discus »

Blimey Jeff, your dog needs a cape with a big S on it (or a big L!!!!). Great photo - had us in stitches on the boat :-)