16th April 2011 - Solution to leaking stern gland found.

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

16th April 2011 - Solution to leaking stern gland found.

Post by Jeff »

Our leaking stern gland continued to get worse despite attempting to ensure the "vanes" were the right way around, and were clear of debris.

I even tried putting a cable tie around it to pinch it to the shaft - which did reduce the rate of the drip, but then even with the tie, it started to get steadily worse.

I'd bought a spare (not cheap at ~£70) just in case this happened, but couldn't bring myself to pay the hoist fee of about £130 (In Hartlepool) to just be lifted then dropped, especially when we'd only just got put back in the water, so I got inexorably closer to the conclusion that I was going to have a go at "hot swapping" the old one for the new one.

The procedure involves removing the old one from the shaft and then holding a towel over the gaping hole now made in the bottom of the boat while attempting to negotiate the new one into place without damaging it. I thought I'd get Rose to do the job of holding the towel, but when I got everything set up realised there wasn't room for both of us to do the job. So while she was out, I went for it...

(Contains a swear word, sorry, couldn't help it.)

http://youtu.be/YTQ997vAq08?hd=1
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.