15th April 2011 - Anchored in the river Tyne

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

15th April 2011 - Anchored in the river Tyne

Post by Jeff »

I've just woken up and had a proper shower using the hot water we made yesterday while motoring the 24 nautical miles from Hartlepool to the mouth of the river Tyne.

Forecast looked like it was going to be flat seas, with a favourable current and a following ~10 knot wind. Unfortunately the wind was non-existent for most of the trip, but at least it meant plenty of hot water (which is heated by the engine) for my shower this morning.

Entire voyage was made without much trouble apart from the auto-helm conking on us briefly mid-trip and the return of the dripping from the stern gland (now minimised by the application of a cable tie around it - which doesn't seem to be causing it to overheat).

Clearance was gained from Tyne Harbour control for entry and we made our way to where I sit now, and dropped anchor. Not convinced the bottom is "sandy with good holding" as we were told. Think it might be a bit rocky. Hopefully the anchor will come back up easily when we set off in a couple of hours to Cosalt Marine where we're dropping off the liferaft for its overdue service. Plan after that is to go up to Newcastle town quay I think. Cheaper than the two marinas in the Tyne, and much closer to the town.

Here's a movie of me calling up Tyne Harbour (aka Tyne VTS) and showing signs of relief when it's over. Not because we got clearence. Because the radio conversation is over. I think I'm getting less stressed about using it each time I do it. But sometimes when I know a LOT of people are listening in on the channel it gets to me.

http://youtu.be/HO1FqwF4dUE
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

OOh yes, looking nervous there on the radio. Your face looked like you were going to ask the harbourmaster if you could borrow £100! Fortunately, I get Karen to do all the radio stuff (even though no one seems to understand her Yorkshire accent). Personally, I've always had an irrational fear of telephones which seems to extend to using the VHF aswell. Strange, but true!!! I was slightly dissappointed by the lack of proper entry etiquette - you were supposed to sing 'fog on the Tyne is all mine allmine..........' and do the actions. Link to instructional video below :-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1urq4Vb0XM

I expect to see your version soon :-)
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

:D
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.