7th April 2011 - Hoist Day

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

7th April 2011 - Hoist Day

Post by Jeff »

After discovering we had a leaking fuel tank a couple of weeks ago I decided to get the local boatyard to build me a new one in Polypropylene. They were cheaper than all other quotes and had a quicker timescale.

I installed it yesterday, and proceeded to stick 30 litres of brand new diesel in it (which stung because I'd taken 40+ out of the old tank, most of which got chucked out because of suspected microbial infection).

It leaked in four places.

So this morning I pumped all the diesel out, un-installed it and gave it back to the yard, covered in marker pen.

Supposedly we're going into the hoist this afternoon and spending the night there so we can put anti-foul on the hull where the cradle we've been in stopped us from doing so previously, prior to our re-launch into the water early tomorrow morning.

Unsure if we're going to make it in time. I'm going to stick a load of diesel in it before re-install to double-check it doesn't leak after they've patched it, then empty it again, then install it, re-fill it, and then bleed the fuel system, then check the engine runs, apply the anti-foul and supposedly also do a full day's work for my most important client, prior to making up a passage plan for our trip to Hartlepool and somehow sorting out our borrowed car which has been at the garage for its MOT for 2 weeks now - plus we're planning a party aboard with friends, a meal out with parents, a trip out to sea and back for some other friends....

BIT STRESSED!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

......and I thought I had problems!!! Sorry to hear about the leaking tank. If you are worried about future diesel bug problems then treat the tank with some startron everytime you fill up and fit a purafiner to your fuel line (it breaks up the long chain that the diesel bug creates) www.purafiner.com (available from Gael Force chandlers over here). How's your terrier at antifouling???????????
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

We're now in the hoist and I'm slowly but surely bleeding my fuel system. Engine currently not working and clock ticking to the launch.

Everyone in the yard has been quizzed. One chap has been aboard manning the manual lift pump. Proper team effort.

Rose did the patches on the hull with AF that we missed before so we're getting there.

Fingers crossed the next crank over will start the engine. Just got to wait for the starter motor to cool down now...
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Yeah probably too late now but the manual pump on the engine not often man enough to draw through fuel from a new tank, past primary filter etc. Suppose you have turned the engine over with the bleed screw wide open to encourage the fuel through to the engine itself? I remember having to start a sherpa van that had run out of diesel - same issue as your having. In the end, i had to connect a real ale hand -pull from a pub bar to the fuel line (it was a beer dispense company so we had the bits!!!). Got it going though. If all fails, try a pump of some kind! Good luck (I hate it when things don't go right 1st time!!!!!!!!)
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I sucked it through by mouth in the end. See new post if you're interested in the boring details.

Cheers for the tips!!!