24th September 2010 - Out For The Winter

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

24th September 2010 - Out For The Winter

Post by Jeff »

We had planned to stay in the water until early October in order to have a bit of fun pootling about the coast around Whitby with friends and family. It was going to be Hartlepool this weekend. But the proximity of stag and hen parties, and the wedding, combined with pants weather, bad bridge opening times and the exorbitant cost of remaining in Whitby Marina combined to motivate me to bring our lift out date forwards.

Rose was seriously not happy about the idea. From where we were in the marina, Coates Marine didn't look like a super appealing prospect. It looked more like a carpark really, surrounded by a barbed wire fence and little else. Gone would be the brand new, heated facilities block of Whitby Marina. And more importantly, gone would be showers...

The lift-out and relocation went very smoothly apart from my arrhythmic heart beat - which soon settled back to its normal rate once Isabella was safely in her new cradle. And on climbing the ladder to the cockpit I immediately realised that Coates Marine has its benefits! I've not taken a photo of the view yet, but suffice to say that it's bloomin' spectacular! The Vapalux lamp will be put to good use on still evenings, keeping us toasty while we look down at the Esk, then out along it towards the town and the floodlit Abbey and church of St Hilda.

This will likely be my last post before the wedding I think - unless something unexpected happens. The underside of the boat looks fine so no major works are planned.

Adios until then shipmates!

Some photos of the lift....

To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Good luck for the wedding - now there's an event you'll need your serious face for!!!!! :D :D :D
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

:) Thank you! Hehe.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.