20th August 2010 - In Woodbridge, river Deben

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

20th August 2010 - In Woodbridge, river Deben

Post by Jeff »

Woodbridge is a really lovely little place! And there's a guy here selling a sailable yacht tender/dinghy which I'm very tempted to buy to replace our rather aged inflatable dinghy. It's a bit expensive though so I'm umming and ahhing.

Meantime here's some media from the last week...

Warning, these videos are really quite bad quality (off my phone) and boring...

A short video tour of Isabella:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2-NHaU7cFc

A vid of the generator working its magic while we're anchored at Pyefleet Creek near Brightlingsea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC3S1dfsDkg

A vid of us stuck in the mud outside Woodbridge Tide Mill Yacht Haven, lassoing a buoy... unsuccessfully (I did get it in the end):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofJpvSSAU04

A vid of us just before entering Woodbridge Yacht Haven over a tidal sill:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxN-vh65LnQ

A vid of us entering Woodbridge YH over the sill:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhmJS05ZGtc

A vid of me bbq'ing some sausages in Woodbridge YH:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFPDIi4UfKM

A pic of a boat anchored behind us (seriously) in the river Colne, Brightlingsea:

A pic of Isabella anchored at "The Rocks" on the river Deben:

A pic of the Woodbridge YH tide sill that we crossed, with the tide out:
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
methodman
YF Newbie

Post by methodman »

these are mint jeff, im laughing at ur wild mad man eyes on the bbq vid.
the mooch around isabella is cool, i was a bit scared with going into the bedroom with a man with a pirate beard, but when i saw you handle those sausages, i knew we were in safe hands- class mate, keep it up.

also the difference from inside the cabin to the deck is unbelievable, i thought you were moored up on land, is it well insulated inside, it must be.

keep on reefing some jibs or something.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I just re-watched them. Apart from the mad man eyes which I'd not noticed before (thank you!) they're not too bad!! Hehe!!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
methodman
YF Newbie

Post by methodman »

out of interest Jeff, run us through a typical day, like how do you decide on your course etc, is it planned all the way or do you do stages, what happens with the radio, and weather. would be interesting to hear a typical day- leave out the stuff about you talking like a pirate and referring to rose as the cabin boy tho!
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I don't really think there's been a typical day. At the moment for instance I'm awake as it's blowing near gale force and the only thing keeping us off the mud, which is about 20m behind us right now, is a piece of rope attached to a metal hook which is dug into the mud in front of us. Anchor watch is pretty dull to be honest though so I think I'll go back to bed shortly.

An average day though...

We'll have been working all week and at the same time keeping an eye on the forecast for the weekend. Will also have an eye on the tides to see what sort of time of day offers the most assistance in the direction we want to go, and what sort of height of tide we need to both leave where we are, and enter the next port of call.

Assuming the conditions aren't horrendous we then get the boat ready the night before, scrutinize the forecast, double-check the tides and set the alarm (seems very often we set off pretty early).

Next morning it's up to re-check the weather, have brekky and a cuppa, and weigh anchor to make the passage.

If it's a long one we'll take it in turns to be on watch. Being on watch can amount to looking around once every few mins or on occasion a vigil of attention - the latter necessitating shorter watch periods.

A usual voyage so far has been in the 20 to 40 mile range. Given good winds and tides (which we've had a lot of, partly due to being patient and waiting for them) that will take something in the region of 3.5 to 7 hours... which sounds a lot, but it's nothing at all like a 7 hour car journey! Even when you're on watch it's a bit of a philosophical moment of reflection. Well, for me at least. For Rose I think it's more about racing with the unsuspecting boat which is nearest to us :)

On arrival at our destination we mostly have me on the helm and Rose on the pilot books. The pilot books give loads of info about things to watch out for, buoy positions, likely changes to the channel (on the east coast we have had to obtain updates as the channels can change overnight in the right (wrong) conditions), historical info, places where it's good to anchor, good pubs, good eateries and photos of how things look on approach.

Then we'll arrive in some anchorage. Either it'll be deserted which makes things easier or it'll be rammed. We zoom in the gps very tight and then go in a circle while closely monitoring the depth (one of our electronic readouts shows depth). Just prior to this we'll have worked out the maximum amount the depth will drop from what it is now, add 1.5 to that (our keel's depth), plus a bit more for luck (depending on how much swell there is and how confident we're feeling), and make sure the entire circle is deeper than that figure. Then we position ourselves in the centre of that circle and drop the anchor. As soon as it touches the bottom we stop letting out chain, then wait till we start to drift. If there's no tide or wind we'll motor astern (backwards). Once we're moving chain (up to 25m of it) is paid out. If depth or conditions require it, we let out some length also of the rope which is spliced to the chain (which always worries me as I did the splice myself).

We then watch for dragging and set an anchor drag alarm on the handheld GPS while working out where we can row ashore to, where best to exercise the dog, and where find the nearest eatery.

Later we'll return to the mothership and a warm sleeping bag.

Which is pretty much precisely what happened yesterday.

Then sometimes, like this time, the forecast shows extreme conditions, and we have to think about having one of us (which thus far has been THIS one of us :() on anchor watch. The thinking being that should something fail, we'll have a better idea of where the very expensive anchor might be so we have a greater chance of salvaging it... I guess also so that we'd be able to get the engine started quick-sharp, and motor ourselves out of trouble.

Then it'll be a week of work, and a repetition of the above.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I guess I didn't really answer your question:

out of interest Jeff, run us through a typical day, like how do you decide on your course etc, is it planned all the way or do you do stages, what happens with the radio, and weather. would be interesting to hear a typical day- leave out the stuff about you talking like a pirate and referring to rose as the cabin boy tho!

----

Course planning is done so that we take the shortest route possible without taking unnecessary risks, and while passing visible features which we can use to easily verify our position. Either this is done in pencil direct on the paper chart, or on the comp and then transferred to the gps. So often we change the plan due to wind direction or conditions (more likely to go over shallow ground if the sea is calmer) that I wonder why we bother with the plan sometimes - but it gives an accurate way of working out how long things will take which is essential for the tide calculations.

Radio is used when necessary. We've not so far used it to lodge a passage plan with the coastguard, which you can do, as we think it's a bit pointless. The official thing is to radio them up on departure and let them know how many of you are aboard, where you are, and where you're headed. When you get there you're meant to then let them know. Thing is, if you forget to let them know you've safely arrived, they do nothing whatsoever. Pointless surely.

In our pilot books it tells us the radio channel of the harbour master of our departure and destination ports and we fairly often give them a shout to enquire about anchorages or berths or shipping movements.

Weather changes usually necessitate a change to our clothes, sails, course and demeanour. It's amazing how a sunny day, however extreme the conditions are otherwise, puts you at ease - and a dark day, even a completely benign one, gives you a feeling of impending doom.