18th August 2010 - Anchored in the Deben

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

18th August 2010 - Anchored in the Deben

Post by Jeff »

Quick post as I have to crack on with some work...

Sailed from Pyefleet Creek anchorage (Brightlingsea) to the Deben yesterday. Made really good time. Too good time! So couldn't enter the very shallow entrance straight away. We "hove to" to wait for the tide to rise some more. Wind was 20+ knots though and even hove to we were making 2 knots. I played about a bit and found we were better off with the main alone rather than also using the jib. Not something anyone has ever suggested before.

The swell was quite bad so I phoned the harbour master and he said we'd be OK to come in, so we did. We sailed in under a fully reefed main, then sailed (and motored a teeny bit now and then when the river's direction was straight upwind) up the river to "The Rocks" an anchorage about five miles up - which is where I'm now sat, with the Three dongle hoisted as high as it'll go, which is giving me 3 bars of mobile broadband.

Quite nice up the Deben it is!

Departing will be interesting - supposedly we have to do it on the rising tide, fighting against the current. And if there's been any strong easterlies we can't leave _at all_.

Local paper (Whitby) has run an article on our voyage, with some photos. Unfortunately they didn't include a link to our justgiving page, or to this blog... which is a shame as that's why we were trying to get them to do the article in the first place :roll:
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
methodman
YF Newbie

Post by methodman »

here's the local rag's story
http://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/news/Cou ... 6482985.jp

and get some pics up jeff. this is gonna be THE blog for future sailors to set there standards by, Borrow some of Rose's Lippy
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Cheers for posting the link. Your persuasive powers have worked also - see the new post with pics and lots of (boring) vids!

I think I mentioned in another post that they made a couple of errors in the article. I'm 38, not 39. Lunar is a girl. My dad is a surveyor. Rose is called Rose - not Ros. And the wind generator does more than run the fridge (sometimes) :)
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.