4th June 2010 - Poole Harbour to Newtown River (Solent)

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

4th June 2010 - Poole Harbour to Newtown River (Solent)

Post by Jeff »

Had a few nice nights in Poole Harbour with some excellent sunsets. Pootled around the harbour a little in order to find somewhere we were allowed to land and walk the dog, which wasn't easy, but Shipstal Point provided the answer briefly after a very shallow and tight bit of pilotage.

Then it was time to head to the Solent, despite the forecast easterly winds. Actually had to head almost due south for a substantial part of the journey in order to be able to approach the Solent up the very narrow Needles Channel (which we wanted to do so we could get a good view of the Needles) rather than using the more obvious, and easier, 'Northern Channel' entrance. It was worth it, we had some excellent fast sailing and a great view of the Needles as we came into the Solent.

After a 4 mile very slow sail in the Solent in extremely hot weather with diminishing wind, we put the engine on for the last couple of miles to Newtown River where we are now. Newtown River is a National Trust owned river estuary on the Isle of Wight. Anchoring is free (which suits me) but very tight with other boats at the weekend. We witnessed two collide gently as the wind turned so I'll be on keen watch until the weekend crowd subsides - when we'll be staying the week I think as internet is OK here. I'm a little worried about running the generator here (which I need to do for about 1.5 to 2 hours a day when I'm working), but hopefully the poor forecast, and mid-week days, will get rid of most other boats.

Here's some pictures...

Brownsea Island in Poole Harbour - reminiscent of Jurassic Park - NO LANDING - NO DOGS

Isabella at Shipstal Point - Rose on beach

Anchored off Pottery Pier, Browsea Island

Entering the Solent via The Needles Channel

Entering the Solent via The Needles Channel

Newtown River, Isle of Wight, A Popular and Beautiful Anchorage
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.