2nd April 2010 - Boat Preparation Issues - WARNING: BORING!

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

2nd April 2010 - Boat Preparation Issues - WARNING: BORING!

Post by Jeff »

For those of you interested in the more detailed technical aspects of boat maintenance and preparation, here's some juicy stuff...

--

I had planned to install a rope cutter, but that requires a 36mm gap between the P-Bracket and the prop (for the "Ambassador Stripper" one I plan to install).

On lifting out, it was instantly clear that the gap was about 1mm. The easiest way to increase the gap is to simply pull the prop back, and hence reduce the amount of shaft held in the shaft-gearbox coupler - but when I pull it out far enough this only leaves 20mm of shaft inside the coupler. As I'm not sure that's going to be enough, I'm posting up this question to the very popular and very excellent PBO forum. You can see my post (as CaptainBob) and any replies here:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233300

--

For some reason I felt we might avoid having to go to the expense and trouble of anti-fouling. The AF (anti-foul) visible at and above the water line looked in very very good condition, so I thought we might get away with it.

On lifting, it was very clear this was not the case. We've got multi-layers, flaking, some back to the hull, and some rust showing on the cast iron keel. Again I'm resorting to the forum (and a very helpful yard manager here at Yacht Haven Quay) for advice. See my post and answers to it here:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233299
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.