31st March 2010 - Back From Jersey

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

31st March 2010 - Back From Jersey

Post by Jeff »

Unfortunately our confidence wasn't up for sailing to Jersey and back for our sailing course, so we took the plane. But since doing the course, our perspectives have changed a little, and we're now seriously entertaining the idea of heading across to the Channel Islands before beginning to head east.

Last week we took poor little Lunar to the kennels, jumped on a plane, and headed to Jersey for some lessons. I felt a little under prepared in terms of the theory - especially my weather knowledge - and so was cramming during the flight across (all 25 minutes of it!). I shouldn't have worried. Our preparation and experience really paid off, and as well as learning a good deal, we also both found that we'd be doing things right for the last year or so. So back in Plymouth now, complete with Dayskipper Practical (Rose) and Yachmaster Coastal (Me) course completion certificates, we're feeling a lot more confident about what's ahead. We're also much more aware of what might be in store.

Despite on occasion a 'rough' sea state, poor visibility, winds to force 7, rain, drizzle, squalls and low temperatures, we'd managed to get from Jersey to Guernsey to Dielette to Granville to Iles De Chausey and back to Jersey again. Just under 150nm in total. Four hours of it at night. Brilliant!

--

Can't recall if I mentioned this in previous posts, but before we went away I was getting more and more concerned about our rigging. It had been replaced professionally last year - but since being replaced had introduced a judder in the mast when the wind blew in certain directions. The riggers came back 3 times and "tuned" it, but in the end gave up saying, "some old boats just do get mast wobble in some winds". Which is odd as we'd had NO wobble before, and at the time we had it any time there was any wind at all really - and they also had left a very slight 'S' in the mast (when looking along the mainsail track from below, with eye against mast - otherwise invisible).

Mast wobble reportedly is a bad thing which can lead to work hardening of the mast - potentially eventually leading to a catastrophic failure - so I had to do something. I did find a way of hoisting ropes and winching halyards which did seem to stop most of it, but it took a god 10 minutes to rig up/remove each time we wanted to go out in the boat - and was definitely less than acceptable.

With much trepidation I finally bit the bullet and decided to have a go at tweaking it myself.

Five minutes later the slight 'S' in the mast was all but gone, and so was the juddering. I slacked the babystay completely then took off 3 turns from the backstay then ~2 each from the cap shrouds, finally bringing the babystay back up to tension once more. Probably a 2mm maximum length change in any of the wires.

--

Another mini triumph before we went to Jersey was the upgrade and installation of a 40 Amp charger. Our 20A charger, finally, came back to the installers. Sterling had replaced it with a brand new one. So the installers were happy to simply charge us the upgrade price to the next model up, a substantial 40A charger. Much more capable of dealing with our now quite large battery bank.

--

And that brings me up to date. Here I sit in Sutton Harbour for almost the last time. Tonight we shift to a temporary berth, then tomorrow we're off to Yacht Haven Quay for a night on their pontoon - then the day after that we're to be lifted out for a couple of weeks while we sort out a rope cutter, new stern gland, anode, antifoul, etc, etc, then we're off!

Here's a couple of pics. First one is the new 40A charger which took me about 12 hours to install (not really sure why!) with our wind generator controller to its left, second is _some_ of our battery bank (fourth and final battery is behind the bulkhead, at the left - I think you can make out the cables going through to it. Not pretty, but it's secure, and it works.

To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Hi Jeff

Just wondering what sort of things you did for your Yachtmaster Coastal. Was it more of a demonstration of your skills or the instructor showing you what to do then you doing it? I am considering doing the course this year so a few pointers would be great. Already have Yachtmaster shore based certificate - but no practical qualification. Also starting work this weekend on our Discus over in Southdown - although weather looks a bit grim!!! :D

Cheers

Rob
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hi Rob!

It was a bit of both really. The instructor showed me things when required, and not when not. And he continually assessed all people on the course. So long as we did 'OK' we got a 'course completion certificate'. Some people went on to then have an RYA examiner come and actually examine them for a day or two. Much harder to pass that than to get the completion certificate. But even those skills which I felt I already had to some extent (working up a course to steer, parking in a marina, man overboard routine, pilotage etc.) are now more honed because we did them repeatedly.

In short I don't think you'd regret going on a course. We purposely chose the Channel Islands because we didn't know the waters, and because there's a little bit of everything over there. On their website Jersey Sailing School say, "if you can navigate here, you can navigate anywhere in the world"... hopefully they're correct. We had a 12m tidal range at one point which made things rather interesting! Entire islands appear and disappear with the tide!

Enjoy working on your discus!

Jeff
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the info. We are hoping to head to Guernsey this season and take a look round on the boat. I suppose you were there with the big spring tides we just had.................nice!!! :D. Girlfriend would like to do the Day Skipper practical but was worried it was more of an assessment of skills already learned than a taught course. By the way, love your idea of sailing round the UK. We sail quite a bit up in Scotland on the Clyde so let me know if you want any pointers for good anchorages/moorings/boatyards in the Clyde/Loch Fyne area. It is stunning up there, you could spend a whole season in the area. Looking forward to getting back into the water - quite jealous of your pics of Salcombe and Fowey empty! It's always a bun fight when we go there!! Good luck with your maintenance ashore and I'm sure we will bump into you on the water at some point. Just look out for a badly sailed Westerly Discus :D

Cheers

Rob
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Cheers Rob :D

Rose was worried similarly about Dayskipper Practical. Reality was that she enjoyed it thoroughly and it increased her confidence. She'd just worked through my old course I'd bought online - had no tuition or exam - and the practical course was perfect to consolidate what she'd done a few times on paper.

See you in the water!