15th March 2010 - Cawsand & Edgcombe

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

15th March 2010 - Cawsand & Edgcombe

Post by Jeff »

Pottered about in Plymouth Sound this weekend. Started with an overnight at Edgcombe - woke up realising we didn't have any oars, so, after a bit of a Dayskipper theory session, headed back to Plymouth for a quick trip to the chandlers, then back over to Edcombe for another night and a couple of walks with the dog... then over to Cawsand for a couple of nights and a couple more dog walks.

Lunar found deer - and gave chase :roll: - we eventually got her back, exhausted and covered in cuts from the brambles she'd forced herself through.

I found a nice bit of wood so I could make a boat hook rather than buying another telescopic alloy one for ££.

Last autumn, when walking at Jennycliff, I'd found a large plank of wood that would make a good fender board. I hid it up the cliff a little, so we anchored up of the beach there and I went ashore to see if it had survived the winter. It had. So we now have a fender board ready for when we're tying up alongside a wall on our trip at some point.

Our sailing confidence is obviously increasing because we weighed anchor, sailed to Jennycliff, anchored, and then weighed anchor again, all without touching the engine. All went very smoothly. Looking forward to getting even more skills under the belt when we go to Jersey next week for our RYA course.

Here's some pictures.

Rose studies Dayskipper theory at anchor while frigates pass behind

Sunrise over Drake's Island, from Barn Pool, Mount Edgcombe

Lunar wondering why we're still in bed

My new homemade boathook

My new foraged fender board
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.