16th December 2009 - Eberspacher Woes

Jeff's blog of his life living aboard a yacht, at anchor, in the UK, with his wife, a dog and a baby.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

16th December 2009 - Eberspacher Woes

Post by Jeff »

An eventful long weekend has ended rather nitheringly.

Our rather strange friend James (who I know from my Kitesurfing days) came to visit us for a few days - and it happened to coincide with the first decent period of good weather we've had in a while. James was keen to have a trip out in the boat as he'd not done so with us before, so we took full advantage and went to the Yealm for an overnight stay.

The sailing was quite full-on, especially as we're a bit out of practice having been harbour locked for over a month, and having not done a lot in the last 3 months generally - so the winds gusting to 25 knots were a bit on the brisk side!

We made it around and got moored up on a buoy very close to the tender landing pontoon which was very handy for the chilly row ashore and back.

The following morning, with a slightly thick head thanks to clearing out our wine locker, beer locker and some of "The Dolphin"s beer cellar, we awoke to one of the coldest mornings we've had so far. I went straight to the Eberspacher switch and fired it up. About 20 minutes later the smell of burning plastic slightly preceded the Eberspacher giving up the ghost, and I realised in a moment that I'd left a fender over the Eber's exhaust!!!

We sailed back to Plymouth with the anticipation of a rather scary invoice from the Eber repair man :(

Bad things come in threes however.

Back in the marina, our fan heater decided to give up after an hour of use, so we resorted to the Vapalux (paraffin pressure lamp).

This morning, the Vapalux decided it had had enough as well - needs a new vapouriser.

Before I sign off and fit a new vapouriser in the lamp, here's a few photos from our weekend trip to the Yealm....

The night before we left, in Sutton Harbour, Friday 11th December

Rose, Lunar and James - sailing from Plymouth to the Yealm in strong winds

The Party, friday night in the Yealm

James being silly on the way back to Plymouth, Saturday 12th December
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Gorbash
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Gorbash »

That is a bit of bad luck hey :| Good luck with the repairs mate.
Your photos are great, makes me very jealous sitting here at my desk job :P
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Cheers Gorbash :)

Turned out the vapouriser had welded itself to another part of the lamp which I don't have a spare of, so had to go out and buy a new fan heater. Got one from Wickes at £16.99. Noisy little thing it is, but just about keeping us comfy.

I'm sooooo close to getting a dehumidifier. Every time I nearly get one, we try something else with the ventilation/heating and find a way to avoid condensation. But without the Eberspacher - using a fan heater or pressure lamp - ventilation has to be quite substantial.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Gorbash
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Gorbash »

I see. Yeah comfort is important whilst sitting at anchor.
Lol, maybe you should just bite the bullet and get one, at least then your heating won't be blowing out.