Marina recommendations for living aboard?

For the discussion of liveaboard specific topics.

Moderator: Jeff

AD 2
YF Newbie

Marina recommendations for living aboard?

Post by AD 2 »

Hi there
We're living aboard presently in Canada, but are planning on moving to the UK this year to live on our new-to-us boat somewhere along the south coast-ish area of England, unless we hear of somewhere great somewhere else. Are there places you'd recommend? Places to avoid? Experiences to share?
Any help would be much appreciated!
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Living aboard in UK marinas is frowned upon by some marinas. Some turn a blind eye. Some actively encourage it.

We were last living in Marinas some time ago so my list below might well have changed but here's some to consider:

* Falmouth

* Sutton Harbour - brilliant place to live aboard. Very sheltered. Fantastic access to shops and 'culture'. The best shower facilities of any marina in the UK. Welcome liveaboards. Friendly staff.

* Plymouth Yacht Haven - a bit bouncy in some winds but you get used to it. A good existing liveaboard community. Poor showers (but they have since been upgraded).

* Brighton - big existing liveaboard community. I think officially they don't allow liveaboards but turn a blind eye (not sure).

* St Katherine Docks - amazing place to be, an oasis in the centre of London, more expensive than normal marinas.

There are others also I'm sure.

Good luck!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Chicagosailor
YF Newbie

Re: Marina recommendations for living aboard?

Post by Chicagosailor »

Hi AD 2, did you execute on your plans to live-aboard? Thinking of the same!