Complete novice and advice sought

For the discussion of liveaboard specific topics.

Moderator: Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Wow that's expensive! ! Hope it goes well!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

How's it all going? You living aboard yet?
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
FSDSMAN
YF Newbie

Post by FSDSMAN »

Well survey OK - No major issues and boat sound and sweet. Obvious cosmetic stuff to do and a bit of maintenance and took ownership this morning collecting the papers etc. Boat still in Mercury at Hamble but possibly a skipper may be able to bring it back this weekend if all goes well. All the manuals and service receipts are with the boat and all seems fine. Small leak on the gearbox but that was rebuilt 3 years ago - could be a seal or misalignment but engine and all other systems ok on survey. Got a few courses ready to do and at Chatham so by the 17th December I should be a very green day skipper and taught in the initial waters I will sail and the school seem a good bunch. I never gave a false impression of my abilities and said that I should be treated as an absolute beginner - they are fine about it.
Followed advice and just purchased a dinghy - no outboard - yet :D Purchased a ISO life raft also but could sell that if deemed surplus to requirements but it is guaranteed for 12 years and service interval of 3 - and I do take safety seriously with life and craft.
As you said you could spend fortunes and going through the prior receipts the previous owners have done but not used her but I will have to prioritise what I spend and do a lot of work myself - which is how I want it anyway. If you are familiar with a boat (or any vehicles systems) and understand them fully, maintain them and keep records then you should be able to fix problems. If you visit once every 2 months and if something don't work pick up the phone and the cheque book then you are going to get burnt.
I have got the boat insured and have been truthful about my ability with that also - so until I have miles and qualifications under my belt it is a big NO to take the boat out without a suitably qualified person on board - and that is how I want it - so you are safe in the west country :D
On that note a couple of weeks ago I found out that my brother has a boat (never spoken to each other in 14 years) but he is in the West Country and from what I can gather he has never sailed before.
Sod loads of work to catch up on and try and organise this but feel happy for once.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Fabulous. Some wise words there.

Good luck with everything and do keep us posted on how you get on.

Shame about the gearbox thing - hopefully it's an easy fix. Having an engine you don't know and trust is such a pain.

What dinghy did you get? Some row better than others!
FSDSMAN
YF Newbie

Post by FSDSMAN »

Well the dinghy I purchased will not be the best rowing kit but meets other criteria - hopefully. In the end I went for a Honwave 3.2 air deck and V keel because the boat I have is an "Owner's Version" but as mentioned before has space is not utilised too the best advantage. It has a single - large - aft master birth - but on the port side rather that a central or centreline layout. I feel this was done in the design to give the extra head, shower etc on the starboard side. But as this is not en-suite it defeats the object really and the forward head has the same facilities so waste of space but! It has a very large starboard locker aft of this space. This after some thought will enable the dinghy to be stowed - deflated when in a marina in that space so reduce the length (measured cost) and also protect it from the elements to some extent and the rig enables a small pulley or winch system to assist lift etc but the space will also enable me to fit a holding tank for the rear head with minor modification and cost and very easy access for maintenance, vent and suck out in a marina if required but I intend to get a bit fitter and use the shore based facilities at all times if possible (long walk to the block when caught short - so think before a Vindaloo and Cider :D )
In all I am reasonably happy and managed to get 25% off the asking price for the boat from a well known Ana broker simply because I was looking for faults and chose a boat that had not been love. Looked after yes - but loved - no and was prepared to walk away. It was not what I was originally looking for but with the advice from this forum and a whole lot of research and costing etc it was too good to miss - I hope.
I feel that the boat is the right size to start but doubt if I will be able to increase or purchase again so this is my baby and I will get it back to the state that it/me requires to hold my head high and say this is mine, I know how to sail her, look after her, keep her safe - and all others around her but most of all enjoy her - people often ask why objects of passion are referred as "she" well I think I know why now.
One thing I do know is that Bellestar needs some TLC but also tested/used rather than just a weekend retreat.
I will keep you posted and maybe one day when I am not regarded as a risk and a danger to myself and others in coastal waters we may meet at a waters edge for a few hours and share a pint and ideals together.
Lots more questions to ask so I am not off the map.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Sounds like you've done really well. Always thought that boats which really only need a good deep clean to get back to near 100% are often bargains.

Time you posted some pictures!!! Please! :D
FSDSMAN
YF Newbie

Post by FSDSMAN »

I will take some when I am down at Hamble again. Back in kent at the moment
FSDSMAN
YF Newbie

Post by FSDSMAN »

Well thrown in at the deep end really. Went down to Mercury, Hamble last Friday to meet the delivery crew on Saturday to go over a few things with them. Saturday morning I get a text from them asking if I would be able to crew for the skipper - explained that I knew sod all but possibly. As it turned out another person also joined us. Sunday spent the day getting required bits and bobs and the skipper going over the boat. Monday morning left Hamble and after through Southampton water we set the sails. Quite a quick learning curve was required and we sailed all the way to Eastbourne - so day one was off shore around 12 miles blowing a northerly force 5-6 gusting 7 and we got into Eastbourne around 7 so 11 hours with 3 night hours in the first day. Entertaining trying to cook with the gimble almost swung full. Day 2 Eastbourne to Dover, left at around 1pm for the tides - motor sailing a bit but again when the sun went down the wind picked up so again 2 reefs in and the boat was still doing 9knts. Arrived at Dover around 7 again so another 3 hours night sailing. Spend about 6 hours during the first 2 days on the wheel lerning the feel of the boat and the instruments etc. Yesterday we left Dover around 10 and sailed for Chatham - not much wind but buy the time we got to north foreland the visibility had dropped to about 1 mile, turned the corner and up the Thames estury and finally into the river Medway. As the darkness drew in the visibility lifted a bit but all three nights was cold. Got to Chatham again around 7 and Bellestar was home. I really enjoyed the trip and have definately got the bug very deep. So 3 days, 160 nautical miles, and 9 hours night sailing and I was back. Tonight is the first night I will have my cabin back (The Skipper needed a good nights sleep more than me) Also made a good friends the the skipper "Mike" who is soon off on his 8th atlantic crossing for a customer and "Dave" putting in the hours for his yacht master. Lots and lots to learn so gently does it and tuition booked.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Can't fault it. Get out there and get amongst it! Its all well and good doing practical courses etc but once you are feeling competent on your own boat you have to just keep pushing yourself, otherwise the step up from 'crewing' to skippering can be a bit of a mental block :-)
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Absolutely awesome!! What an introduction!! Very jealous :(

Pictures please!! When you have a mo.
FSDSMAN
YF Newbie

Post by FSDSMAN »

Got a new camera so will upload when I get a chance. At the moment I am getting really pissed off with chandlers. Mailspeed marine have got to be the worst out there - more like mailsnail marine. Spend over £3500.00 with the idiots and they still can't get it right. Send the wrong lifejackets, first aid kit that is out of date, say items in stock and order being picked but a week later find out that they do not have them in stock and can't get them.
Just ordered a new cooker from another supplier and it arrived Friday. Down on the boat today, removed old cooker, renewed hoses, put a bubble tester in, gas alarm system and then find out the prats have sent completely the wrong cooker. Can't get hold of them until Monday so we now have no means of cooking until they send the correct one so that will be a week if they even have it.
Are all chandlers complete numpties and should be shot or any good ones out there. Christ If I get things like that wrong I would be out of business.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Force 4 and marinesuperstore ( not marine megastore) are a pretty safe bet. Gael Force, Piplers of Poole also very good. What was wrong with the old cooker BTW?

Oh and welcome to the wonderful world of boat ownership £3500 will be the tip of the iceberg! :?

Rob
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Don't listen to Discus. We've managed to keep costs very low indeed for years now... but if you _want_ to spend money, it's easy!

I've been lucky with all of the chandlers but another + for marinesuperstore.

Bad luck with the cooker :(
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Jeff wrote:Don't listen to Discus.(
No one listens to me anyway! :oops: :P

Cheeky monkey! :lol:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Not the first time I've been called that :D