Plymouth Sound Virgin

Post info on regional interest topics, plus any events/news from the world of Yachts.

Moderator: Jeff

bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Plymouth Sound Virgin

Post by bobholiday »

I'm going to be cruising out of Plymouth for the first time next season... how daunting is that going to be exactly? I guess it gets pretty busy at times, but is it a proper nightmare, or OK when you get used to it, or actually not as bad as one might think? :?: :?:
richard
YF Newbie

Post by richard »

Hi Bob , i sail and instruct out of plymouth and would say its very straight foreward, plenty of sheltered dep water and loads of great places to sil whatever the weather. The royal navy are quite quick to ask to to keep clear with their little ribs whenever they have something manouvering around, all very courteous, i am sureyou willreally enjoy it.
good luck
Richard
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Oh nice one! Thanks for that!

As you've got local knowledg... I'll be mooring up at Weir Quay on the Tamar - anything I need to know about that? I understand it can get a bit shallow at LAT near Cargreen - is that a major issue? I've got a bilge keeled Centaur - so I guess I should be fine if I'm careful.
richard
YF Newbie

Post by richard »

Hi Bob so far as i can recall you'vegot about 1m at chart datum at Weir quay, so most of the time i would have thought you would have a metre or so on top of that except maybe at springs, so ideal choice of boat i would think. My brother in law had one untill a year or so ago, cracking yachts !