Mariner 4hp outboard starting problems

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Mariner 4hp outboard starting problems

Post by DaveA »

Hope someone has some thoughts on this.
Started my (on loan) mariner 4hp the other day, first time since I've had it, it ran for long enough to let me untie the mooring lines, then just cut out and now refuses to start. Changed the fuel when I found there was too much oil in the mix but still no luck.
Fuel is getting through because I can see a film of petrol on the surface of the water as it comes out of the exhaust
Tried checking the plug and could see a spark, so now I'm lost.
Any thoughts ?
Come on over to the best place to buy and sell your boaty bits www.sailroom.co.uk
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

I am seriously no expert on this, but having had the same problem recently, don't discount the obvious.

I flushed the carb and changed the plug in mine and it's fine now.

Suggest you try to change the plug anyhow. And flush the carb, regardless of your fuel flow theories.

But if you genuinely have fuel and spark - all that's missing is air perhaps?
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Hi Bob
Sorry, should have said, the breather on the tank has been checked and air is flowing into the tank, but is there another air intake maybe ?
Not used to working on outboards
Also, any idea if the engine stop button is supposed to be held out by a kill cord ?
I've seen that on some engines but this didn't come with one
I'll have another go on Monday and change the plug too
Come on over to the best place to buy and sell your boaty bits www.sailroom.co.uk
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Yeah. I'm no expert at all either, but you need air to go in _somewhere_ to mix with the fuel in the piston... not in the breather on top of the tank - must be somewhere else. I don't know where. Near the carb I would guess.
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Just happens to be the area I'll be looking at this afternoon, thanks though, new plugs on order so I'll update if I manage to get it going