Suzuki 2.2 2-Stroke Outboard Engine Won't Start

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Suzuki 2.2 2-Stroke Outboard Engine Won't Start

Post by bobholiday »

I've actually solved this now I think, but thought I'd post the conclusions in case they can help someone else with the same problem.

Basically, my little Suzuki outboard engine died on me a while ago mid-river, mid-tide, brill :(

I found out from the engine manual (and a lot of help from forums) that there's a screw underneath the little bulge of plastic at one end of the engine housing. This is actually there to allow you to flush the carb out, because apparently the carb can get gunked up, or can end up with water in it. The procedure is to remove the screw with the fuel off. Then turn on the fuel for a short time. You _should_ get a flow of fuel out of the hole. If you don't then there's a blockage somewhere between the fuel tank and the carburettor.

I did that, put the screw back in, and returned to repeatedly pull-starting. No joy.

A number of people on another forum said that they had had similar problems, and that their problems were resolved by simply changing the spark plug or even just the spark plug washer!

Not confident this could be the solution, I thought I'd try it anyway before considering stripping the engine down completely.

Bought a couple of BR5HS plugs (which is what a Suzuki 2.2 needs) from this guy on ebay (seemed best price online I could find):

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Mister-Solutions

Started second pull after that! Mint!! 8)
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Thanks for that, I'll pass it on to a mate in Burnham that's been having similar problems
Come on over to the best place to buy and sell your boaty bits www.sailroom.co.uk