Water consumption on a small boat

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Water consumption on a small boat

Post by DaveA »

Any idea how much water each person would get through on a daily basis ?
As all mine will be in bottles and I like my tea and coffee I would hate to run out just when I fancy a brew :D
Come on over to the best place to buy and sell your boaty bits www.sailroom.co.uk
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Another quote for you from my "Voyaging on a small income" book.

They argue that ALL water should be in smallish plastic bottles, for a number of reasons.

Can't mix, so if one gets spoiled you have others.
Easy to refill without having to take boat to water - so often free when otherwise not.
Easy to distribute all over the boat to spread load.
Easy to use bottles when collecting rainwater.
Easy to carry if in small enough bottles (1 gallon perhaps).
Doesn't matter if you get a hole in one. Not too much spillage and not too much loss.
Easy to chuck overboard if you need to lose weight quickly (obviously by emptying them, not binning the whole bottle)

I think there were other benefits mentioned also.

Amount used though - really depends on you. Amazing how little you can get away with if you're careful - and how much you can get through if you're not!
DaveA
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by DaveA »

Hadn't thought about those points, but I suppose it does make sense. Mine are three litre plastic bottles so each one would hold enough to last a while. But the distribution issue is definately something I hadn't thought about, and the dumping to lose weight too.
Must get me one of them books :lol:
Come on over to the best place to buy and sell your boaty bits www.sailroom.co.uk