New Year Sailing Resolutions

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

New Year Sailing Resolutions

Post by Discus »

Anyone got any sailing resolutions for the New Year? New destination? Fitting some new kit? Doing something different with the boat? Whatever you want to accomplish this year - share it here.

I am aiming for Ireland this year as the new destination
I am finally going to fit my shower sump pump as the new kit
I intend to anchor more this season too

Roll on spring. Anyone got anything interesting planned? 8)

Rob
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Childcare.

And I want to try Surströmming. And possibly Kiviak but doubt I'll find a UK source.

And ferment more things. I've so far, since land life began in Oct, fermented swede, carrots, cabbage, celery, radish, cucumber, courgette, onion, brocolli, apples, malt, grapes, sprouts and parsnips so far.... getting adventurous thoughts about fermenting proteins (meat, fish, eggs).

And surf more.

And start saving up for some form of cruising yacht for distant future family adventures.

Did you buy a Rocna?
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

I see your penchant for strange foods is alive and well and flourishing in your new surrounds. Fermenting sounds like an equally bizarre pastime. The only experience of fermenting I have had recently is a foul smelling concoction in our bilge - water, oil, diesel and the out wash from the heads sink. Smelt like rotting onions but was definitely fermenting.
Childcare sounds fun. Never done any myself so can't really comment.
Surfing! Excellent! Although my sense of balance isn't what it used to be.
Rocna - no. Spade - still on the shopping list although we do now have a snazzy new (to us) Honwave dinghy with an inflatable floor and 4hp outboard (I hear the sucking of air through teeth and shaking of head from here).
Bought some Ireland charts - so I guess we will be going (can you check your dad's availability for that one)
Contemplating an Axiom propeller to mitigate some of the boats less desired characteristics in reverse.

Good to see you're still dropping into the forum. It's all a bit quiet since you went shoreside.

Rob
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

I'm still trying to find a good anchor watch app for my Hudl :roll: Anyone got an easy to use one ??
Redesigning the FW system as per my JD fueled confusing thread on PBo /R to R last night :oops:
Repairing/replacing bits that our new 6mth old JC has wrecked /chewed .......IE replacing the stubby VHf for aerial on the wheel shelter windscreen roof which she kindly chewed the end andpulled the wire coils out . Chewed my nice new canvas covers on the coachroof grab rails making nice holes along its length . Fortunately not damaging my lovely varnish work ,
There's more but I need to reach for the JD before I can bring myself to even think about them :lol:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ah yes, a Spade. Do it. You will be very glad you did. Ireland - excellent :)

Hudl anchor app. Go to Amazon App Store and search (and pay) for 'My Anchor Watch Pro'. It's brilliant. Does have a lot of settings but well worth spending 30 mins getting your head around them. I set it and used all of the false alarm advanced options to filter out false alarms. I set it to check position every 2 seconds also. This combination gave us 1 false alarm all season this year, and positive triggers rapidly whenever we left our specified 'zone' (rowing in the dinghy, phone was in my pocket).

Flippin' terriers!! :)
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Terry - I have Drag Queen loaded on my Hudl as an anchor watch app. Looks simple enough to use but must admit haven't used it in anger yet. Hope you don't wake up after the JD and find the dog has tried to chew your leg off after graduating from a VHF aerial! :?

Jeff - Spade looks like the best fit for our bowsprit but is still eye wateringly expensive. Will see if I can smuggle it on to the credit card without it being noticed.
Next we'll hear you are fermenting potatoes and making your own Vodka - glass of Snoxski anyone? :lol:

Finally succumbed and have set up a Facebook account for the boat! Hopefully now we will finally do something interesting with the boat. Still not a fan of social media though!

Rob :P
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I tried Drag Queen (great name!) but it lacked something I found essential and which I can't recall which was a feature of My Anchor Watch Pro.

MAWP allows you to set the anchor position as where you are right now, or, some distance at some bearing from where you are now, which is handy. And the filter options are awesome. And it can be told to send you an SMS if the anchor is dragging. And you can send _it_ an SMS to ask it what the current situation is. These last two features make it possible to spend all day in the pub! Absolutely awesome!

Hmmm. I'd need a still sorting Rob but once I have a still, not just vodka is possible. [scratches chin]

Social networking is great once you get into it! But I never heard of a boat with it's own FB account!
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Jeff wrote:I tried Drag Queen (great name!) but it lacked something I found essential and which I can't recall which was a feature of My Anchor Watch pro.
Probably means it didn't work :(

I'm sure a man of your caliber could knock up a still in an afternoon from some household items and a length of old pipe! Mind you, you might end up with explosive results or a good engine degreaser :roll:

Boat has a FB account because if I put it my name, you never know who will come crawling out of the woodwork! :o

MAWP sounds the ticket. The day in the pub bit has me sold. I may buy it in tandem with my 20kg Spade. Belt and braces! :P