Glossary of Sailing Terms

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

EasyGoingPatrick
YF Newbie

Glossary of Sailing Terms

Post by EasyGoingPatrick »

Hi,

I am just beginning (hopefully) to make my way into the world of sailing. At the moment, I am at the stage of simply reading everything I can lay my hands on. One problem I am encountering is the amount of jargon in the sailing world. Every profession/hobby has it, but - I guess because of history - sailing does seem to have a lot. It is really slowing down my learning process. I must have read five magazines before I worked out what a windlass is.

Can anyone recommend a good book on nautical terminology?

Kind wishes ~ Patrick

:?:
Complete sailing beginner. I welcome any help or advice anyone is able to offer.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Strongly recommend doing the RYA courses. They're excellent.

Dayskipper book covers all of the jargon. You could just buy it, it's not expensive. But better yet do the course. It teaches you LOADS about navigation, safety, boat handling, lights and symbols. Rules of the road.

I really enjoyed it.

You're also 'supposed' to do a VHF course to get a licence to be able to use your VHF radio. Most people don't bother. I did. I'm glad I did because talking on the radio petrifies me - but a little bit less than it would if I'd not done the course because I know I'm doing it right. Had a conversation with a warship once, they did not know how to do it right, they ought to be embarrassed! They altered their live firing plans to allow us to pass without changing course as a result of saying the lat/long the wrong way around and other silly radio mistakes. Was funny.

I did the practical RYA 'competent crew' course.

Then the Dayskipper theory course as an internet correspondence thing.

Then went on a week's yachmaster coastal practical course. This I found taught me nothing new on top of what I'd already learned in theory and in practice but it was good fun and a good confidence boost.

Join the RYA for 10% off in some chandlerys and discounts on their books and assistance on legal things if you need them.

http://www.rya.org.uk/shop/pages/produc ... ltCatalog)
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
EasyGoingPatrick
YF Newbie

Thanks...

Post by EasyGoingPatrick »

...for the 'roadmap' (or is that passage plan?), Jeff. Interesting website. Lots there for me to be getting on with.

- Patrick
Complete sailing beginner. I welcome any help or advice anyone is able to offer.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

That link didn't work. Try again:

<a href="http://www.rya.org.uk/shop/pages/produc ... og)">CLICK HERE</a>
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.