anyone heard of a Ruffian 30

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

bottomless bucket
YF Newbie

anyone heard of a Ruffian 30

Post by bottomless bucket »

hi there, new to the forum. Have just purchased a sailboat and cant find any makers name or data plaque anywhere onboard. when i google the boats name it comes up with boat type as a Ruffian 30. I cannot find any other mention of a Ruffian 30 on the internet apart from the Irish Ruffian 23's which are a popular racing type in Ireland and Hong Kong. My craft is 30feet long with 10'beam. I need to find a rudder for her and would rather know exeactly what she is than start constructing one from scratch. She bears the Registration no 377001 routered into a wooden bulkhead. I know i've gone abouth the purchase in the wrong way but it was a steal...
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

If it is indeed a Ruffian 30, it was manufactured by Weatherly Yachts ( now long gone) in the 1970's as a half ton cup cruiser racer. There aren't a huge number of them about. The registration number indicates that at some point in its life it was Part 1 registered in the UK. Not sure what the rudder may have looked like I'm afraid.

Rob
bottomless bucket
YF Newbie

Ruffian 30

Thanks for that Rob, guess i can chase details with the reg no. I know it broke its mooring over 4 years ago and it was recovered with a damaged rudder. Failure to pay storage charges unfortunately ended up with the boatyard owning the boat. Its been sitting with them for 4 years untouched. I think i've just caught it in time. I'd looked up Weatherly yachts and couldn't find any mention of a thirty. Its pretty well built with a good layout inside. Spent last weekend washing 4 years algae out of the cockpit. quite a bit of work ahead but the hull/deck and mast/rigging in good shape as are the full set of sails.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

If you find out the rudder dimensions, it may be worth getting one made professionally. The downside is if you are working from scratch, ie without the existing rudder stock, you may be looking at the thick end of a couple of grand. The rudder is a 'difficult' item to design as it may be balanced, semi balanced or full. If the new one is a bit off in design, it can make the handling unbearable with excessive weather or lee helm. If you have bits of the damaged rudder, and can get the dimensions of the original design, it may be worth trying http://www.tonymackillican.co.uk/cockpit_rudders.htm to make you a rudder. Had him make a tiller many moons ago and the finished product was first rate. Not much help I know but its part of the boat worth investing in (speaking from experience of a wayward tiller/rudder combo). Keep us updated with your progress. In the meantime, I will ask around our yard to see if there is a 30 local to us in Plymouth. If I find one, I'll get measuring! :lol:
bottomless bucket
YF Newbie

rudder

Thanks Rob, Much appreciated

Regards, John
joefly
YF Newbie

ruffian 30

Post by joefly »

There is a Ruffian 30 by the name of Black Opal moored at the Poolbeg Boat Club, River Liffey, Dubln.
I think she may be the first of the line.
He who dips his wick must pay for the oil