This Season's Trips

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

This Season's Trips

Post by Discus »

The good weather of late brings makes you think about the coming season and the potential it holds. Went to the boat this weekend - finally progress is being made. The engineer was on board and the engine was all reconnected up and bled and fired up on its new mounts. No issues! :D . He even commented that it ran really well for an older lump. New canvas should be with us in about a month and fitting out has begun in earnest. So, with this in mind, has anyone got any trips planned? Any aspirations for going further afield? Targets for this year? Would be interesting to see if our paths may cross at all. Thoughts?

Rob 8)
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Perhaps we will be out and about on our lonesomes :cry:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Excellent news about your engine. I hope mine works out as well!

It's gone cold up here, but in the spirit of your post... assuming nothing major goes wrong with the boat (which it probably will) thinking about hopefully getting over to the Channel Islands, possibly France, possibly Scillies. Definitely going to try to revisit our favourite spots along the South Devon and Cornwall coast. Just love it down there so much.

Got our harbour dues paid sticker in the post today. That's our mooring fees paid for the year. £127. Bit steep but I can live with it for such a lovely place (Dartmouth).
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Oooh! We are thinking of Guernsey in June. If you want to go with the safety of another yacht, give me a shout. Yes, engine news is good - the bill, not so much!! Further update is that we have booked our launch date for Friday 2nd May so full steam ahead!! Count yourself lucky with the mooring fees, our are 10x that amount, but we do get a mooring buoy and a water taxi included in that. Bit of a revolving door on the bank account at the moment! :o
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

£1270 for an _actual_ mooring is cheap isn't it?

We're launching a just few days before you. Will keep you posted on Channel plans. We're not organised enough to know what month we may or may not be going for it. Suspect weather will play the most important role in the decision making process.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

To be fair, our mooring fees are not too bad, but paying them always comes as a bit of a shock. The water taxi is a useful bonus as it makes taking your stuff to and from the boat simples. The engine bill came in higher than was expected too, mainly as it took 2 engineers over 6 hours to align it properly. Unfortunately, its also the time of the year when our house morphs into something like a chandlers/workshop. I have a wind genny and a spare cylinder head on the dining room floor. The top of the engine housing (newly re varnished) on the dining room table. Several boxes of general boat stuff in the hall, an outboard in the downstairs loo and a bunch of boat electronics in the spare room wardrobe. Mind you, the cat loves it and is in to everything. Just hoping for no more big bills for a while or I might have to flog some of my boat bits! :o
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Gotta love being paid by the hour. The worse you are at your job, the more you get paid.

Your house sounds like our boat at the moment :)
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Jeff wrote:Gotta love being paid by the hour. The worse you are at your job, the more you get paid.

Your house sounds like our boat at the moment :)
True! In all fairness to the engineer, he said it took longer than anticipated and discounted the labour by about 20% to compensate for it. The Bukh engines are notoriously difficult to align at the best of times because of the design of the mounts and the engine weight. We also had to have the bearers drilled as they were full of water and there was no access to secure the mounting bolts - it was basically held in place by its own weight. We also had a new Volvo seal and cutlass bearing at the same time. It's still a shock though when you actually get the bill! Haven't even mentioned the state of our garage - more boat stuff piled up in there too. We are running out of room! :?
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Jeff wrote:Excellent news about your engine. I hope mine works out as well!

It's gone cold up here, but in the spirit of your post... assuming nothing major goes wrong with the boat (which it probably will) thinking about hopefully getting over to the Channel Islands, possibly France, possibly Scillies. Definitely going to try to revisit our favourite spots along the South Devon and Cornwall coast. Just love it down there so much.

Got our harbour dues paid sticker in the post today. That's our mooring fees paid for the year. £127. Bit steep but I can live with it for such a lovely place (Dartmouth).
hi Jeff "Possibly France " will you be taking Lunar ? we thought about going around the "corner" to Brest but chickened out 'cos of the hassle of bringing the "boys" back to the uk . is it a bit easier now ?

We thought about getting a prepaid Dart Dues ticket as we are not having a permanent berth this year ,just a winter berth in King Point marina .

Rob ,Sorry I missed you last weekend . We were still at the Yealm and no internet :cry: