Where Can One Buy Cork or Rubber Bungs?

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Where Can One Buy Cork or Rubber Bungs?

Post by bobholiday »

Someone once suggested to me that it's a good idea to keep a bung near to any skin fitting - so that if it should shear off while under way, you can shove a bung in the hole as a temporary fix.

I've searched Google for a while, but can't find a source of appropriately sized bungs. Brewing shops sell them, but they're too small for my ~33mm holes.

Anyone know where I might get some?
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Blimey! Just answered my own question. I emailed these guys:

http://www.leyholdings.com/

And asked where I could source bungs in quantities under 1000 as quoted on their site, and they're sending me exactly what I'm after as a free sample!

8)
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Arrived! Nice one!!

The corks have a fair few imperfections and cracks - but I guess they swell up in-site when wet. Hopefully I'll never have to find out, but it's good to know I have them there as a backup. 8)
cpedw
YF Newbie

Post by cpedw »

http://www.compass24.com/watersports/ab ... ste=961050 This is the standard answer but I think your free samples should be just as good.

Derek
richard
YF Newbie

Post by richard »

call me a nit picking old so and so if you will, but i was always led to beleive these bungs should be wood so you can hammer them in. I thought the reason god invented cork was to kepp the wine in !
Richard
bobholiday
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by bobholiday »

Yeah good point. I think I'll invest in some of those wooden ones.