Solar Panels - What Type?

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Solar Panels - What Type?

Post by Discus »

Thinking ahead, I would like to supplement our wind generator with a solar panel. Easy? Well, room may be a bit of an issue, particularly finding somewhere that is not going to get partially shaded. I was thinking about 80watts should cover it, but in the smallest footprint available. I know there re 2 different types of panel, which is ultimately the best compromise of cost/output. What is the real world output from people's solar panels in an average summer? :?:

Rob :?
Terry T
YF Newbie

Re: Solar Panels - What Type?

Post by Terry T »

Discus wrote:Thinking ahead, I would like to supplement our wind generator with a solar panel. Easy? Well, room may be a bit of an issue, particularly finding somewhere that is not going to get partially shaded. I was thinking about 80watts should cover it, but in the smallest footprint available. I know there re 2 different types of panel, which is ultimately the best compromise of cost/output. What is the real world output from people's solar panels in an average summer? :?:

Rob :?
Hi Rob I've a 100w German panel fitted across the Davits so no shadows and it can be variable tilted fore and aft but only generally get 3 to 4 ,sometime 5 amps. So not as good as the theoretic amps :evil:
Considering fitting 2more 50s ......... One either side of the cockpit on guard rails and to have them raising like "wings" when moored or at anchor :?:
I think Jeff is happy with his layout but we are ruthless with leccy . BTW we also run an Air breeze.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Hi Terry. We have davits, which would be the obvious solution, but for the Hydrovane occupying the bit in the middle. We have an aft deck but seem to use it a fair bit for standing or sitting on. We have the coachroof - which is generally unused but is in shade from the boom and stack pack most of the time. I suppose I could try and source one that isn't affected by shade too much. I am going to add another battery, which will require a bit of minor re jigging and I may need to add an alternator regulator to make full use of the capacity but, the alternator is the original 50amp job and may not take kindly to being messed with. An extra 3-4 amps to run the fridge would be useful though. Thinking cap on and a quick trawl of the tinterweb may be in order. Have booked lift out for 21st of this month - lots to do for next year as this year has shown up the areas we would want to improve on. On a different note, any recommendations in the Plymouth area for canvas work? Looking for a new spray hood and a cockpit tent :joker:
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

Discus wrote:Hi Terry. We have davits, which would be the obvious solution, but for the Hydrovane occupying the bit in the middle. We have an aft deck but seem to use it a fair bit for standing or sitting on. We have the coachroof - which is generally unused but is in shade from the boom and stack pack most of the time. I suppose I could try and source one that isn't affected by shade too much. I am going to add another battery, which will require a bit of minor re jigging and I may need to add an alternator regulator to make full use of the capacity but, the alternator is the original 50amp job and may not take kindly to being messed with. An extra 3-4 amps to run the fridge would be useful though. Thinking cap on and a quick trawl of the tinterweb may be in order. Have booked lift out for 21st of this month - lots to do for next year as this year has shown up the areas we would want to improve on. On a different note, any recommendations in the Plymouth area for canvas work? Looking for a new spray hood and a cockpit tent :joker:
For canvas work I use Aquarius....... Phil Byatt .07887953963 or 01752 463234 I've used him several times . Good work and reasonable price . he use to work for Slikcut before they went bust .Nice chap easy to talk to .
I've fitted a sterling charger thingy to the alternator really blasts in the amps . Worth the £100 or so it cost . Also run a honda genny (650 watt) charge batteries thro the shore charger so that will bang in 20amps .

Don't forget to let us know when you are free for that beer !!
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

When did Slikcut go t**s up? Shows how on the ball I am. I have used Ocean Canvas but was hoping to find an outfit that was more reasonable. Will not forget about the beers - looking forward to it! :salut:

Rob
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hi Rob & T.

Solar panels...

I bought 2 x 80 watt cheapos from Ebay. They've been brilliant. In clear skies around noon we see 12 amps from them. At 13.6 volts which is what the regulator regulates at that's 163 watts, which is more than the rated power of the panels. Any haze in the sky and that drops considerably, but we often still get a couple of amps when it's quite overcast. Any shadow across them at all has a massive effect, so your under boom location, although ideal for practical purposes, probably won't cut it... unless you can find some that aren't affected by shadows. Do they exist? Ours are on our davits. Could you get two square panels and place them side by side across your davits, with a gap between for the hydrovane?

Canvas. Unsure if Caroline does sprayhoods etc but she's very good: http://www.hotwellscanvas.co.uk
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.