Tonight Matthew, I'm going to be.............Jeff S!!!!

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Tonight Matthew, I'm going to be.............Jeff S!!!!

Post by Discus »

Well, we were launched - over the wall and towed onto the pontoon as we wanted to run the engine up attached to a pontoon as it has a new head gasket, reground valves etc. All OK so far and a collective sigh of relief from us both. Started bending on the sails - minor adjustment to furlex that necessitated taking the staysail drum apart but OK. Then the issues really started to rear their ugly head. The summary is below.

Staysail sheets too short - borrowed some from old boat
Lazy jacks too short - extended to fit
Mast gate corroded open - released after much swearing
Engine fuel lift pump leaking at fuel union - tightened up
Starboard fuel tank leaking at fuel cock - tightened up
Fuel return pipe leaking - tightened up
Water tank blew its breather tube on filling, mini geyser inside the boat
Volvo drip less stern gland greased and burped - leaked until engine run in gear
Rudder tube weeping at top seal - may need to be packed with some stuff they pack stern glands with
House battery bank failed - 8 volts by evening - 2 new service batteries and £200 lighter

But the good news was we fitted the Hydrovane, wired up the autopilot and networked it with the other instruments. Hoping to head to the mooring tomorrow if everything goes to plan. Must admit I'm knackered. Jeff - I now know how you feel sorting out those little issues! :x

The only way is up!

Rob :?
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Oooooh nasty! They're all small but it does add up to something greater than their sum... at the time. You sound like all is well in hand. Could do with your skills here tbh. I replaced our lift pump and thought that was it but we still have an air leak in the fuel lines somewhere.

Crossing fingers for you. It's all part of the fun though dont forget!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Yep, bit of pain having so many things to fix. Just when you think you are winning.......you find out you aren't. Toilet pump started leaking yesterday so had to be stripped down and fixed. Now seem to have a slight leak on the oil cooler which annoyingly deposits just enough oil in the bilge to make the boat smell like a mechanics overall! On the plus side, we actually got out sailing today - only to the Eddystone and back but the boat went very well indeed, much better than I had anticipated. Perhaps we can get off somewhere tomorrow at last.

Hope all is well on the Towser front.

Rob
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hi Rob - sounds like a pretty normal start to new boat ownership. A total smelly messy nightmare. Why do we do it!!!?? Aaagh!

Great to hear you got out for a decent sail! We did too - back from 4 nights at anchor in Salcombe! Our first overnight trip out of Dartmouth since we got this boat. Yay!!

You rudder tube leak - we had that too. Ours has a grease nipple on the shaft, low down, not obvious. I covered us last year by pumping a lot of grease into it. Over winter we had Marine Wise re-pack the gland - apparently it was tightened right up to the limit so really needed re-doing.

We've still got air in fuel issues. Thought I'd sussed it by replacing the lift pump. All visible fuel weeps ceased. But no, it's still taking in air when we leave the engine a few days without use. Going to replace the two remaining old braid covered pipes and cross fingers. All else is new or very well tested now.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Sounds nice! I think we may go to Salcombe this trip. You are right about the joys of new boat ownership and its nice to get some perspective on that - thanks! Took a look at the oil cooler this morning. Of course it isn't very accessible but couldn't really find much in the way of a leak, ran the engine up and still no sign of it. It must be coming out when the oil is very hot and therefore much thinner. Will keep an eye on it over the next few days. Did Nina enjoy the change of scenery and the sailing? I imagine its a great life aboard for her. Wish I had grown up with that experience.

Back to the spanners!

Rob :) :(
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nina took it well in her stride. A touch of nervousness in the bumps around start point. Otherwise acted as though all normal despite being well away from land.

She cheered every time the engine was turned off. Like father like daughter!
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

:D . Glad to hear all went well. We have been making progress over here. Still unsure if we have an oil leak or not. The oil extraction pump at the back of the engine leaks when you pump the oil out - not noticed until we had changed the oil. There is a heck of a lot of congealed oil and general detritus underneath the back of the engine which I have been cleaning out. The starboard fuel tank has been leaking out of the tank tap and adding liquid to the oily mess allowing it to flow forward into the bilge. Lovely! I can't see any leak on the engine or gearbox so can only presume this is the source of the issue. It makes you question the engine though, which we never did on the other boat as it had a replacement Beta. I think I may be having similar issues to you in terms of learning to trust the beast :roll: Anyway, the only way is up - at least the fridge works so we have been kept going with a decent supply of cold beer and we have DAB radio for absolute 90's so I can remember being a student every day - when life was simpler!

Enjoy the weather!

Rob 8)
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ooh sounds grim down there in your bilges! Hope its just years of buildup from the sump pump leak. Glad your fridge works ok, looking at the forecast it's going to be working hard for the next few days!

Our troubles continue. I bit the bullet and removed the three remaining original fuel hoses and got pirtek to make replacements. Installed them all. Bled. Engine ran fine. Next day it wouldn't start. Air at last bleed screw. Aaagh!

Enjoy the sun. I'm off to run with the bulls in pamplona. Stag do.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Run!!!! Run like the wind!!!!! :D :D :D