Anyone want to buy some leccy ?

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

Terry T
YF Newbie

Anyone want to buy some leccy ?

Post by Terry T »

as I'm confident that we will have some left over the next time we go for a little cruise ! :cheers: :cheers: Having now fitted an alternator smart charger,a new petrol tap on the Honda genny so we can use that again to charge via the shore charger . (Tried it yesterday ....17amps !) Still have the god awful air breeze for when the wind is near hurricane and now looking for 2x100watt Solars to fit to guard rails which can be raised to the horizontal when at anchor !!

Terry
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Wow you're like a power station T!

But only 17A off the Honda? Is the shore-charger only a 20A unit?

We've not got a smart alternator charger yet. In fact our alternator has given us zero amps this year as the solar is working so well the batts are never below 13.6V to let it kick in.

All our power since April 29 has been from solar apart from 3 hours of 40A from the Honda on Thursday last week - which we didn't really need but I thought I should give it a bit of a run. I think the main reason we have so much surplus is that we're not now using the Eberspacher at all (as we have the Faversham multi-fuel).

The solar panels (2 x 80W) give us 1A even when it's very overcast.

Solar definitely the way to go!

Are you coming to Dartmouth soon?
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.