Folding Bikes

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

livefats
YF Newbie

Folding Bikes

Post by livefats »

We've been looking for a pair of folding bikes to keep on our Bav 30 - something we promised ourselves to purchase as soon as we upgraded from our previous boat, a semaster Sailor 19ft pocket cruiser (!)

Having looked at a large number of options including cheap'n'cheerful from Halfords et al, Bicketons, Dahon and Brompton (eek!) we've opted for a pair of Tern Link folders. Not the lightest, at 12ish kilos, and not the smallest - but for us a great compromise, with 20 inch wheels rather than the rather twitchy smaller wheel size of smaller folders. (Found test riding the Brompton very twitchy, despite great build quality and a smaller "fold".)

As to the Tern Links - they're great! They feel rigid and perform well; I wouldn't have known that they were folders (unlike some I've tried from Halfords!) Really good pedaling experience. The rack on the back is great for shopping, and the 7 speed gears are smooth and easy to operate.

They are also really easy to fold and unfold, once you've got the knack - certainly less than a minute. (The Halfords bikes defeated the first salesman we asked - he had to find a strong colleague to demonstrate!)

They fold well, too, for a bike with 20 inch wheels, and fit into a generic 20 inch folding bike bag for stowage on board. (Tern do one themselves, but it's pricey!)

Cost: £299 from Evans (http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/b ... ding-bikes#!- cheapest deal we could find, and included £50 of accessories) - the guys in the Kendal branch were brilliantly helpful.

I don't know how they'll stand up to salt, etc, but liberal WD40, and we'll see!

And no, I'm not on commission - just intent on filling up our new yot with stuff, glorying in the extra space!