Volvo drip less stern gland

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Volvo drip less stern gland

Post by Discus »

Right, this thing is next on the hit list. Apparently it needs greasing with some funky blue Volvo grease. Have found a tube of said funky blue grease in a drawer, but how do you grease the thing? Bear in mind that the stern gland is not that accessible so imagine Mr Tickle is really needed for this job! Any greasers have a few tips!

Thanking you

Rob 8)
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yep. I can help!

Take a drinking straw and squirt blue gunk into the straw.

Flatten one end of the straw and slide it in between shaft and seal.

Squeeze protruding end like a tube of toothpaste so as to inject the gunk.

Rotate shaft a bit to spread. Perhaps consider a repeat at 120 degree intervals or something but do not overgrease (how you know what too much is I don't know).

As a side note - remember to re-burb the gland often. After just 1 hour of motoring on our Tempest there was enough new air in ours to warrant a re-burp. No idea where it came from. Perhaps up the underside of the hull from bubbles caused by cavitation from the prop.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Thanks Jeff. Will hunt out a straw. I hope our gland doesn't need burping often or I'll need to get arm extensions. By the way, we are in a week Tuesday!
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice one! Glad to hear you're so close to launch. Hope you're not too stressed about it - it'll go perfectly I'm sure.

But don't forget to burp the stern gland after launch!!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Will do. No difficulty for me to remember to burp after launch............dinner, breakfast or even a snack! (I'll get my coat!!!) :wink:
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Groan :)