Boat tool kit - what to take?

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

livefats
YF Newbie

Boat tool kit - what to take?

Post by livefats »

OK. Always been a WD40 and hammer kind of guy, but here goes:

What would make a decent toolkit for a medium sized yacht? I've got (as well as aforementioned hammer and WD40) rechargeable drill, bits, a small socket set, a "multihead" type screwdriver, pliers and a mole grip. Oh, and lots of ducktape and cable ties.

Feel free to weigh in! :)
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

What you said, plus...

Tube of ct1

Socket set

Chisels

Oscillating multi tool

Crowbar

One of those grabbing devices for retrieving dropped nuts, screws etc

Decent head torch

Voltmeter

Soldering iron

Plumbers tape

Lots of spare bits of rope, chord, string, pipe and fittings.

Washing up liquid for lubricating ropes and fenders for a completely silent night

Blow lamp

Massive amounts of rags and cloths

Captain tollys creeping crack cure

(Good post)
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
evenkeel
YF Newbie

Post by evenkeel »

All of the above +
I have a set of spanners both a/f and metric, hacksaw, assortment of nuts and bolts
One other thing i do have is a 12 volt cordless drill which i have made a dummy battery case wired to a cigerette socket plug, i never have to worry about a flat battery.
The other most important things i woulnt be without, an assortmet of soft wood plugs for broken seacocks and a good quality boltcropper, just in case of demasting.
would like to hear what others have
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ah yes. Missed some of those!

Additional. ..

Stanley portable vice

Epoxy kit

A block of wood to use for drilling into behind a workpiece
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

Add a bradawl and a wire coat hanger! ( don't ask!) :wink:
evenkeel
YF Newbie

Post by evenkeel »

Wire coat hanger...... mmmmm me thinks that has something to do with the heads, as for the bradawl... the mnd boggles!!!!!!
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Lol

Additional. ..

Sailmakers palm
Decent needles
Uv proof, very strong thread
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Also:

Suntan lotion ,)
livefats
YF Newbie

Post by livefats »

Suntan lotion? I do sail on the West Coast of Scotland, you know!
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

livefats wrote:Suntan lotion? I do sail on the West Coast of Scotland, you know!
Nikwax waterproofer then!
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hehe. Brave man! 8)
evenkeel
YF Newbie

Post by evenkeel »

Yesterday coming back from a weekend of blustery conditions with a very inexperienced crew my fresh waterpump belt snapped. I keep spare belts tied on a hook in the engine bay by cotton thread so i can grab them in a hurry, snapping the thread. knowing exactly where my toolkit is, i got 2 x 12mm spanners, took off fan belt, replaced water pump belt and reattached fan belt in less then 3 minutes, crew didnt even realise anything was amiss, could have been so different if i had to hunt in lockers for spares.
Conclusion, keep your spare parts and your tool kit in a place where you can get them in a hurry.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Impressive! How did you notice so quickly that it had broken? Before the engine overheated too much?
evenkeel
YF Newbie

Post by evenkeel »

the engine developed a throaty noise and no water was coming out of the exhaust, sorry i meant sea water pump not freshwater pump. if my freshwater pump had broken, it would have taked alot longer than 3 minutes thats for sure.
livefats
YF Newbie

Post by livefats »

Hi Jeff: ct1 - is this silicone sealant?

@evenkeel: impressed!