Garmin GPSMAP 172C - can I buy charts?

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

livefats
YF Newbie

Garmin GPSMAP 172C - can I buy charts?

Post by livefats »

My New-to-Me Bav 30 has a Garmin GPSMAP 172C. It wasn't on the inventory, so I was pleasantly surprised. However, there is no useable-to-me chart installed (Southend on Sea yes, West Coast Scotland no!)

I've searched the Garmin site to no avail - it just tells me te product is discontinued and that the indicidual number in setup is not recognised. Garmin are also not replying to my emails, busy people.

So, my question is, do I junk it and replace it - or is it still possible to buy chart updates (I guess on the Garmin specific card thingy, as it has no SD/CF/MicrooSD card.)

Thanks,

Chris
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

You need a Garmin bluechart charts - alas, they were discontinued by Garmin in 2011. You can pick them up on ebay

Eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-Bluech ... 1c3328f918

You need the bluechart, not the G2 charts. You can also get CD's with the charts on, but again discontinued.

Bit of hunting around and you'll get what you need

Rob
livefats
YF Newbie

Post by livefats »

Thanks, Rob. Ebay it is then!

Disappointed by the Garmoin support site - had be going round in circles for hours! Thank heavens for forums like this.

Cheers,

Chris