Jumping in at the deep end!

Discuss anything to do with safety, technical aspects of yachts and engineering, and anything else to do with yachts and yachting in here.

Moderator: Jeff

Chris McAndrew
YF Newbie

Jumping in at the deep end!

Post by Chris McAndrew »

Hi folks! :D

Now that I (64) find myself with a little cash, and before it's too late, I've decided to take up sailing with my son Pete (23). We both completed a Competent Crew Course in Hamble in late 2011, but haven't done much since. Went out on the Solent a couple of times last year, courtesy of a guy with 'Second Chance', if you know her.

We've decided to buy a Trapper 501 (or similar) and we want to cross the Channel, then motor to the South of France via the French waterways, and then sail when we get the first opportunity - the Rhone? Pete's bi-lingual, so at least we're doing something right!

We intend to take our Day Skipper's and that's about it! How do you think we'll fare, or will we be biting off more than we can chew? Go on, encourage us!

May I have your comment please, good and bad?

Chris
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum.

Sounds like quite a plan!

I don't know anything about the trapper so cant comment on that or its suitability for your trip but can comment on your general audacity. ..

We both did dayskipper theory over the internet then bought a boat, lived on it and sailed around the south west coast for 6 months without coming acropper.

When we decided to then sail right round the uk we did the yachtmaster coastal practical course. It was great experience and served to confirm that the skills we'd already learned were up to the task.

Glad I did it though. Why dont you and your son do something similar. We did our course around the channel islands with jersey sailing. Very enjoyable.

Good luck with your plans. Let us know how you progress!
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Discus
RNLI Supporter
RNLI Supporter

Post by Discus »

My first boat was a Trapper 500 (with the 501 interior). They are great sea boats with excellent accomodation for a 27 footer. They are very comfortable both at sea and in harbour and are quick too. You can do all the courses in the world, but there is no substitute for getting out there and getting some experience. Make sure you do the day skipper or yacht master theory course as that will give you the Nav theory and col regs theory you will need. PM me if you want any more info on the Trapper. They are great!

Rob
Last edited by Discus on Fri May 31, 2013 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris McAndrew
YF Newbie

Post by Chris McAndrew »

Thank you Jeff and Discus for your encouragement. Perhaps we are audacious but you only live once :-)

The attraction for myself and Pete (I speak for Pete here) is that, apart from the Channel crossing when we might need a chaperone(?), we feel we will be familiarising ourselves with the boat, discovering where everything is and how it all works (or doesn't), on the 2/3 motoring stretch (apologies to all old sea salts) before the 1/3 sailing stretch. And sailing into warmer climes. We're headed towards the Vieux Port, Marseille which we know, a bit.

Around the UK, up the North Sea and atop Scotland, sounds a bit nippy to me! But we should consider that too, of course.

I'll keep you posted on how our plans are progressing. So far, we've got our eyes on a vessel on the Thames, but we don't have a mooring. Erith Yacht Club mooring fees, of which we are prospective members, is less expensive than, say, around Southampton and slightly nearer to where we live. Do you know of any inexpensive moorings?

And would an inflatable dinghy fold up into the back of a big estate, or would a small rigid boat make more sense? Any ideas/recommendations?

And thanks for your interest! Chris
Terry T
YF Newbie

Post by Terry T »

I thought Trappers are fairly deep fin or do they do a bilge version ? If not French canals maybe a bit iffy . Just a thought .
Chris McAndrew
YF Newbie

Post by Chris McAndrew »

Terry T,

No, we looked at that issue. I believe Trappers are mostly fin keel, although I might've seen a bilge keel, on the web, that is. But, as sure as I can be, I think that 1.3 metre maximum draught is quite acceptable.

There's a lot of info on this topic at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.ph ... nch-canals which I've yet to read.

Thanks for your comment.

Chris
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hehe I didnt mean you should sail round the uk :)

I meant it might be a good idea to do a week long practical course after you do the dayskipper theory... to confirm in practice what you learned on paper.

Crossing the channel need not be too onerous if you have the navigating skills and half decent weather.

We stayed at Erith. Visited the yacht club bar. Very nice people who let us stay for nothing and took my parents ashore in the support rib. Close enough to sharfleet creek and is it the medway and Queenborough.... good practice territory.

Cheap moorings are available in the south west also if you know where to look. Check out Starcross on the exe.

Dinghies. We have the best one you can get. Avon Redcrest. Cheap. Last forever. Safe. Row exceedingly well. Easily will pack up into the back of your car boot. About 150 on ebay for a good used one if you're lucky.
To join our mailing list and receive notification of blog updates, please send an email to watchblog@yacht-forum.co.uk and we'll keep you posted. You do not need to sign up to the forum to do this, and we absolutely WILL NOT share your contact details, or send you anything but notifications of new blog entries.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Just found my blog entry from when we got to Erith. Here it is:

www.yacht-forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=290